AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

1.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

html5

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I created my first display ad. It appears the flash ad is working but not the html5. What could be the problem?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Deborah W
September 2015

Re: html5

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 12
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Deborah,

I think it is only a problem with the AdWords Ad preview tool. I tested the preview with the latest Internet Explorer and just like you said it shows a blank space instead of the HTML5 banner. But when I clicked "create external link" , I copied with CTRL+C that "Preview Link" and I pasted that link in a new tab in internet explorer the HTML 5 banner was displayed. 

This leads me to believe that internet explorer users do see HTML5 banners. I would recommend keeping those banners and waiting for some time to allow impressions to be accumulated.

I would also ask the following:

- what rotation setting do you have for that campaign, if it is "optimise for clicks" and the Flash ads got the first few clicks, it could be a reason for having low impressions on other banners which didn' get clicks.

- How many ads do you have in that Ad group. If you used the automated tool to create 2 variations of 13 banners, impressions are split between all 26 banners, and it could be another reason why you are not accumulating fast enough impressions on all ads, including the HTML5 ones.

By the way, did you create the HTML5 banners with the Ad Gallery automated tool ?

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Deborah,
Unfortunately, at this time, you cannot use HTML5 ads on the display network.
Where did you create it and how did you upload it in the first place?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I suppose you have created HTML5 using the Ad Gallery Templates.

These work on the display network, as it can be seen from the picture from an account below :

html5-ads-working.png

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Officially, Google does not support html5;

Check the Policy;

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176108?hl=en

And  Google's official reply. (Unless changed, and I was not aware)

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Banners-in-HTML5/td-p/175704

@Adrian

I think the Ad Galley html5 is a kind of "beta testing" for htm5 by Google (eventually, Google will have to support it)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Correct @MosheTLV
The gallery ads are HTML5 COMPATIBLE, no available for upload or manual creation.

I reckon this will be a feature soon though with the release of GWD: https://www.google.com/webdesigner/

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

HTML5 for display ads are not in beta testing, I haven't joined any beta testing. It it just a new feature they haven,t announce with trumpets and horns. Whoever wants to see for themselves , they can try creating an Ad Gallery and when they will save it,  it creates HTML5 banners too.

The OP didn't mention anything about uploading HTML5 , she wrote "I created my first display ad" so I suppose what I am using is also available in her account.

Ad Gallery creates 13 variants now and banners are default in a few sizes also in HTML5 and it is good for mobile traffic, this is why I am using it.

[edit] I corrected some spelling

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Adrian; just for the record,   if users find this discussion on google.com, when searching for similar topics. (No intent to let this discussion goes on, since it has exhausted itself)

Not for all beta testing you have to be enrolled. There are features Google releases globally and start testing. Enrolling for beta usually happens when the user has to provide feedback about  the feature / tool due to be released.  (And this also requires to sign an NDA). Technical Specs that are not listed on the policy - are not officially supported. This is how Google works.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Details about this new HTML5 format of banners which can be used for mobiles can be found here (is this official enough ? )

http://adwords.blogspot.ro/2013/09/create-beautiful-engaging-display-ads.html

However returning to the OP question, my guess would be that the same banner in size , let's say 160 x 600 it is created in Flash and HTML5 at the same time. This has the effect of sharing impressions, so both banners get half of the impression share for which this banner size is eligible. The HTML5 banners eventually gain impressions but in due time, not right away. A solution would be to pause the Flash Ads .

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
I would not start to interpret the OP's intent / thought, and make guesses.... My understanding was simple as Dave's was: The OP created an ad (not by using the Ad Gallery), and was not able to upload it.
Usually, questions by users are simple, and should be understood simply by reading the text.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much for your assistance on the first display ad that I have created.  I contacted google about the fact that when I go into my ads and click on the "View Full Size Display Ad" that the flash ones display but the HTML5 ones show up as a blank box.  My contact at google said that it is an issue with internet exploer. If i were to switch to another browser it would not be the case.  So, I opened my adwords in Firefox and sure enough the HTML5 displayed.  I asked her if all the Internet explorer users of the world would not be able to see my ad when it was displayed and she said that it shouldn't be the case but that IE just doesn't work well with Adwords.  I decided to delete a few of my HTML5 ads and go with mostly flash ads just to be safe.