AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

how do we target broad match and exact match for same keyword?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

how do we target broad match and exact match for same keyword? is it good for my campaign. 

how it will work.

please help me.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: how do we target broad match and exact match for same keyword?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Sanjay,

You can use both match type broad and exact for same keywords.

Broad match allows your ad to show for searches on similar phrases and relevant variations.

• Example: kittens 
• Searches that can match: kittens, kitten photos, adopt a kitten

Exact match allows your ad to show only for searches that use that exact phrase, or close variations of that exact phrase, and no other words. 

• Example: [adopt a kitten] 
• Search that can match: adopt a kitten, adopt a kiten

Fore more information you can visit this link: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497836&from=6100&rd=1

Edit : Note for Borad Match:

As your broad matches quickly gather impressions and clicks, you'll be able to monitor which keyword variations triggered your ads by reviewing the search terms report(see the "Next steps" below). The "Match type" column in your search term report tells you how search terms that triggered your ads on Google are related to actual keywords in your account.

You can use this information to improve your keyword list. Identify new search terms with high potential that you want to add as keywords, and weed out any terms that aren't as relevant to your business. If you find that most of the variations shown in the search term report are irrelevant, consider making your keyword match types more specific.

Hope it helps you!

Thanks
Anchal

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Sanjay001,

You can target broad & exact match for same keyword in two ways.

First:

Add both keywords in the same adgroup & Keep exact match bid higher then Broad keyword.

Second:

Keep broad match keywords in one adgroup & exact match keywords in another adgroup.

but if you are using seperate adgroup for broad & exact match type. Add exact match keywords in to negative keywords at adgroup level in "Broad Match adgroup"

Now some time analyze search query report and find out best match type for your campaign & then optimize campaign accordingly.

Hope it helps!

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Sanjay,

There could be multiple options which you can try:-

1. One option could be to put all match type keywords in one ad group and then based on the data which get accumulated, you can keep one match type and pause the other one.

2. Second option could be to have separate ad groups based on match types (like one containing braod, other containing phrase and so on....) Now here, you wil have to use embedded negative matches in order to streamline the traffic. That is, put phrase match keyword as negative in broad match ad group, put exact match as negative for phrase match ad group. Read this for details.

3. Third option could be creating separate campaigns based on different match types. Then adding the negatives at campaign level just like the way I mentioned above.

It is always suggested to have highest max bid for Exact match, then for Phrase match and then for your broad match.

Try and understand that its only one keyword per account which is allowed to trigger an ad for you. So its you who will have to find out which match type works best for you. Read this excellent blog article for details about how Google target different match types from your account.

Just few of my thoughts!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

EDIT: @ Neha, I was editing my answer to explain SQR report but that time you are fast to explain about search term.

Thanks 
Anchal

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@ Anchal and Neha, you both are really very fast today  Smiley LOL

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
@Pankaj: No, Actually you wrote a long post! Smiley Happy
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you all for your reply.

but i also want to know if i am using broad match modifier for keyword Microsoft service then why i need to use exact match type as my ad will be appear for Broad Match.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Sanjay,

Did you actually check the blog post I referred above?

It says"

"When keywords are the same but have different match types, use the keyword with the most restrictive match type

If you have multiple keywords that are the same, the system will prefer to use the keyword with the more restrictive keyword match type.

For example, if the query is "plumber", and both a broad-match keyword "plumber" and exact-match keyword "plumber" exist in your ad group, the system will prefer to use the exact-match keyword."

Of course additional things do matter which includes the keyword relevancy, ad rank, quality score etc...

This should help you get a clear insight of how Google actually takes into consideration which match type will trigger ad for you.

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Again,

It is beneficial to test all available match types in a campaign as each match types works differently. And when user runs a search query most closely matched keywords having highest ad rank get triggered from your campaign. Broad Match Modifier & exact match type both works differently.

Please see below link with example:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497836

Hope it helps. Please do see the attached link which contains example how these all match types works differently.

Edit: So Pankaj, Now you are fast Woman Tongue

Thanks
Neha