AdWords
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

how do i make changes to text in my add that is posted

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

how do i make changes to text in ads after posted

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: how do i make changes to text in my add that is posted

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Elista,

To edit the text ads go the "Ads" Tab & choose the particular ad that you want to edit.Now hover your mouse over the ad copy and you will see a pencil icon at the top right corner of the ad.Click the pencil icon in order to edit your ad copy and save it.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Elista,

What Shuva says is correct but I would just add that you may be better off creating new ads as opposed to editing existing ones.

When you edit an adtext it essentially deletes the data you have gathered up to that point. It may be more beneficial to pause the existing ad and create a new one so that you can retain the data for the old one and compare the performance with the new one to see which one performs better for you.

Good luck,

Rob

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Elista,

I agree with Rob B, it is better to create a new ad rather than edit the existing one. When you edit an ad, it deletes the current ad and adds a new one. The new ad needs to go through the approval process before it can run. If you edit the current ad (if you only have one ad), no ads will run while the new one goes through approval.

Now for the misinformation from Rob:

"When you edit an adtext it essentially deletes the data you have gathered up to that point."

That is simply not true and one of the most common misconceptions of the AdWords system. Nothing--absolutely nothing--is ever deleted to the point where you can no longer retrieve the data. The performance of the old ad is always available. You just need to set the UI properly to see "All".

Choices for display are "All", "All enabled" and "All but deleted".

"It may be more beneficial to pause the existing ad and create a new one so that you can retain the data for the old one". Again, not true, the data is always available.

The first question to ask yourself is "Do I want the ad to run while the changes are going through the approval process or is this a typographical or other type of error that needs to be fixed before the ad is shown again?" If your answer is "yes", edit the existing ad. If your answer is "no", create a new ad. The process (for you) is nearly identical.

Next question is "Am I creating a new ad because the current one isn't working very well?" If your answer is "yes", in this case it's better to create a new ad, wait for the approval, then run it along side the existing ad for a period of time so you can compare performance over the same time period.

It doesn't much matter what business you are in, testing ad copy in anything other than a side-by-side comparison over the same time period is not very useful. There are too many uncontrolled variables involved. If you don't run the ads at the same time, rotating the impressions between the 2 ads, the comparison is really not valid.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Pete,

Thanks for clearing up what I said. I didn't articulate myself very well. What I meant by "When you edit an adtext it essentially deletes the data you have gathered up to that point." is that the ad is deleted and you must view your deleted ads to see it, in the same way as if you were to manually delete it yourself. The deleted ads section should, in my opinion, be used for ads whose data is irrelevant or ads in which you made an obvious error that you have corrected.

When you're running big campaigns it's simply not a viable option to trawl through all of these extra ads in order to find the data you're looking for and this is why I would always keep an ad paused as opposed to deleted.

"It may be more beneficial to pause the existing ad and create a new one so that you can retain the data for the old one"
Again I should have said "retain the data next to the currently enabled ads".

Cheers again for calling me up on it Pete. I'll be sure to be more explicit next time and not assume that people can fill in the blanks.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes!

Rob

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
You're doing a fine job, Rob. Keep up the good work.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

how do i make changes to text in my add that is posted

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HOW CAN I MAKE CHANGES TO MY ADDRESS...ONLY

one address is minds