AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

how come the average visit duration is only 5 secs from my google ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI there

Ive been checking within google analytics the average lenth of time a user spends on my website which were from the campaign and it is only 5 seconds. To me this looks very suspicious as if someone has just been waiting for the page to load and then closing it down to use up my daily budget.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: how come the average visit duration is only 5 secs from my google

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

The major question is  - How many clicks? If you have a lot of clicks, then you need to ask your web administrator to find IP Addresses. There also you can get statistics on average time spend on the site.

If its one of an occassion, it can be because of a lot of factors - Landing Page Load Time due to connectivity, or other technology factors.

If you have a lot of clicks(more than 15), then thats a concern.Smiley HappySmiley Indifferent

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
What about avg time of visitors from other source? are they more than 5 second or is there major difference.
If so, then you need to re-evaluate your adwords optimization. Also, do not make any judgement based on few visits.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

A few basic questions to ask yourself that might help.

Are you seeing this with broad match keywords or also with phrase and exact match variations? 

How relevant is the content on the landing page to the text in your ad copy?

Run a search query report for the keywords in question to determine exactly what users are typing into the search engine and triggering your ad.  You might be able to add a few negatives to alleviate this problem.

Consider linking your Adwords account to your Analytics account if you have not already done so.  A few basic metrics will become available within your Adwords account that might help you as well.  Here are instructions to do this.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Zero second clicks can mean any amount of time spend on your landing page. Only when they click a second page analytics counts time in between .  Your landing page is supposed to provide at least a phone number so that the customers can call for an order , not to mention other data like prices , location , an order form. In many situations there is no need to see them clicking more than 1 page.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I agree with PPCmac - probably when users "land" on your site find it irrelevant for their needs, and bounce. I would go through the ad-copy and the keywords and make that they tightly match the content / theme of the landing page / website.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi paul v,

You have a number of good answers here. All of them are correct.

Further to Moshe's answer, bounces always count as 0 seconds, no matter how long they visitor stays on your page. Those bounces are averaged in the calculation of average time on a page that you are seeing. There is a trick you can use to see how long bounces actually stay on the page. I'm not going into that here.

You'll need to extrapolate the average non-bounce time on your page to get something meaningful. Let's use some easy numbers as an example:

1000 clicks
5 seconds per page
50% Bounce rate

Ok, half your visitor spent 0 time on a page. There's no way to recover the time on page for bounces (unless you use the trick, but now is not the time to do that). So, we'll take that 5 seconds and apply to the total number of clicks (1000) to come up with an aggregate total of time spent on a page (5000), then divide that by the number of non-bounces (500) and you come up with 10 seconds on page for non-bounces. That's not really all that bad. You really only have a few seconds to get the visitors attention.

Here's another thing you should consider. If it takes your page 5 seconds to load, that's 3 second too long. You only have 5 to 10 seconds to get the visitor's attention and you don't want to waste any more of that time loading the page than is necessary. If your page does really take 5 seconds to load, it's likely that's where a number of your bounces come from--impatient people like me who wouldn't even consider buying from a company with a web site that slow.

A good tool to analyze page load times is PageSpeed. It's a Google tool, not too hard to find. It not only reports how long it takes to load your page, it will also give you suggestions as to how to improve that load time.

If your bounce rate is high, that could easily mean your keywords are not "relevant" to your offer. If that's the case, do a little more research. If you're using broad match keywords, consider using BMM instead. And run a search terms report to find out how people are finding your site. Then add phrase and exact keywords for the ones that work for you and negative (phrase and exact) to stop showing for queries that don't work for you.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
visitors from other sources stay on my page for between 1m30sec to 3m30secs. my adwords are all specifically linked by location and the service i provide

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If your business model allows this type of action, you can use remarketing to exclude from the search campaign the audience made from all your previous visitors. How many times have you paid for "returning visitors" ( not organic )  and does it bring you a profit to pay again for those visitors to click on ads ?

You can also remarket to the visitors who stayed on the site more than 30 - 60 seconds if it makes sense to find them again in the Display network.

[Later edit] What percentage of your returning visitors have a 0 second visit vs. the new visitors ? ( you might have to calculate this with a paper and pen )