AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

help with Display Network placements

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,
I am new to Display Network. I've been researching and reading lots of posts and support pages by Google, but two things about placements are really bugging me:

1) From what I could gather, you can't pause automatic placements. So I excluded a few where I didn't want my ads to show (although I'd have liked to keep their stats). Then I added a few Managed Placements manually, via Display Planner and the +Targeting button. Now these placements (managed) I should be able to pause - there are support pages by Google that tell us so - however I cannot pause them. The pause button is not available by their side and even if I mark placements and click on EDIT > PAUSE nothing happens. The only way I could get to pause Placements was copying them from another ad group and adding them as paused.

Also, I read about a workaround on pausing Automatic Placements, where we can add them as Managed and then pause them. Can that be really done?

2) The Managed Placements I added myself over 2 days ago still aren't showing ads. My ads are served to all other automatic placements, but not on the Managed ones.
When I hover over that little dialogue icon, I usually get 3 diagnosis types:

- I still don't have enough AdSense views to diagnose
- I've been outbidded by competitors

or simply

- Status not available now. Try again later

As for being outbidded, I significantly raised the bids on those yesterday (nothing happened as of now).
But the other two "diagnosis"... When I get "Not enough AdSense views" and "Status not available" it doesn't help me one bit.

I know some changes in AdWords take a little while to get going, but it's been nearly 3 days and my ads still aren't being served on the placements I hand picked, which is really frustrating Smiley Sad

Help anyone?

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Carlos T
September 2015

Re: help with Display Network placements

Top Contributor
# 15
Top Contributor

@Carlos T;

Two points to note:

1. >>"..not enough AdSense views" and "auction lost to competitor bids"  -  means you bid too low or you don't have banners in all sizes
  2. As for "unable to remove managed placements - Rembmber that at least one targeting method is required on the  display network. But, if you have several managed placements, you should be able to pause those which don't perform well,. Let's ping  a colleague to chime in on this point - @Ratan-Jha?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Carlos T
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 16
Top Contributor

Great insights from @MosheTLV already. I will be sharing my thoughts about 'not able to pause managed placements'. 

Scenario 1 - when you have both managed and automatic placements with 'bid only' setting - here you won't be able to pause the managed placement. Why?

When 'bid only' setting is on, there is no point pausing the managed placement, even if you are allowed to pause it, your ads can still show on such placements if your automatic placement criteria matches it. This is the reason pausing is not allowed in this scenario. If you do not want your ads to show on such placements, you should exclude them. 

Scenario 2 - when you have only automatic placements - you cannot pause the placement again, the same logic as able applies. You can exclude if you do not want your ads on any particular placement. 

Scenario 3 - a separate campaign for managed placement i.e 'target and bid' - here you have the full control. You can pause any particular managed placement, doing this will make sure that your ads won't show up there if you do not have other targeting set. 

My two cents.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there;
What targeting methods are you using?
Do you have image ads in all banner sizes available?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi MosheTLV,
Thanks for the reply.

I am using keywords, topics, interests and the managed placements as bids only.
Do you reckon I got too trigger happy with those?

As for the banner formats, I got only 5 from my art director:
120 x 600 JPG banner
250 x 250 GIF banner
320 x 50 GIF banner
468 x 60 GIF banner
728 x 90 GIF banner
...plus a couple of text ads I wrote.

Should we use all sizes supported by Google? Our creatives will love me for this haha... but if that makes a real impact on those issues I'm all for it.

Cheers,
Carlos

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Carlos T;

I have just wrote an article with a few tips on this subject;

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Display-Network-How-many-Targeting-Methods-to-...

And yes - I think you should have ads in all banner sizes available, so you would not miss  impression due to lack of a banner  with the  proper size.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you so much for sharing your article.

Based on the article, I feel I overused the targeting methods, but when building the ad groups I felt the need to restrict my audience as it seemed too wide (too many impressions according to Google's projections).
I may review some of my targeting criteria.

As for banner sizes, I'll do that. I found a few stats on the top performing ad sizes - thought I'd share it in here by the way: https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/6002621?hl=en

One last question regarding ad formats: should I go all guns blazing on Flash (SWF) ads too, or would it suffice to stick mainly with standard image formats as GIFs, PNGs and JPEGs?

I'll give updates maybe in the next few days.

Cheers,
Carlos

EDIT:
Here's a strange one - Had another look at my managed placements and some a couple of them have 300-500 impressions and one of them generated a click. Still, Google says my ads aren't showing there! huh o.O
I guess that diagnostics thingie take quite a while to update!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again @Carlos T;

Indeed, targeting users / audiences on the display network could be a challenge... Smiley Surprised

As for your follow up questions:

Yes, it may take a while to the servers to sync.

As for banner size: remember that beginning of September  Flash is not supported anymore on  Chrome and all Flash ads will be converted to HTML5. 
So, if you  decide to use animated ads, follow the HTML technical requirements in this link;

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176108?vid=1-635750146582699384-17651779469992247457...

Personally; I do not recommend  animated adds unless there is an added value in the message delivered, by  using animation.

Please do come back and update us about the progress and performance of your campaign. This is an interesting case.

-Moshe

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi @MosheTLV
Thanks a lot for the heads up about the Flash banners!

I'll be updating here with news.
Cheers,
Carlos

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Update:
My managed placements aren't running in full swing yet - I added them on Monday! So there's definitely something wrong here. It's Friday and they should have been up and running.

I checked their status - some of them say they've been outbid (although I've placed a bid two days ago that is twice higher than the vCPM Active View average).
Others say my ads aren't showing because there's not enough AdSense views (although some of them had over 1,000 impressions and a couple of clicks).
And there are others where since yesterday it says that it's been showing my ads - but those placements simply can't rack up any decent stats! They have less than 10 impressions and yet Google says they're showing my ads.

What I did next is verify some of those placements which are supposedly showing my ads and see if they support my current ads format: turns out they do! Which prompted me to have another look at the Display Planner's projections of traffic for those specific sites. To my surprise, those sites get as many as 10-50 thousand impressions a week. So... no, it's not normal that my ads are approved and compatible with those sites, and Google says the ads are showing and yet I can't get more than 10 impressions there.
If Google's stats for those websites are anything to go by, this whole situation makes no sense!

What I'm thinking is that my targeting methods must be limiting the progress of those placements.
So I'll create a separate Campaign containing Ad Groups that have only Managed Placements (no other segmentation method whatsoever). I'll move all the placements that I wanna see performing to this new Campaign, choose the "bid and targeting" option and put in a decent default bid. Let's see if this will work. Cause if it doesn't, I'll be at my wits end with this one!

I'll wait until Monday to make those changes because I don't edit this account on weekends, so that would be a bit risky.

PS: Sorry for writing this much in here, I just want to get to the bottom of this and hopefully reach a solution to this intriguing case. And then maybe it could help someone with the same problems.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Carlos T

A few  points to note:

1. I would wait a bit more (at east a week) before analyzing performance on display. I have noticed that it could take to a display campaign a few days before  "kicking into"  a  full gear.
  2. Bid higher on the bigger banners - I think this is the key here. Bigger banners, because they occupy more ad-slots, are more expensive. So, you need a higher bid. - My view: the bid is the key here. (To bid higher on bigger banners you'll need to move them to a separate ad-group.)
  3. And again, check that you have all available sizes.  Your ad  could win a slot, but if you don't have the right  size  of a banner - you will lose the impression.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks @MosheTLV,
I will be receiving more banners on Monday, so things should improve. Also, Monday will be a week from the day when I added the new managed placements. I hope to have a much clearer view of things by then!

As for your point number 2: would you recommend then for me to duplicate my campaigns (use the exact same settings, keywords and targeting) in order to serve the bigger banners? Wouldn't these different campaigns compete against each other somehow?