AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

geotargeting disputes

Jun
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Jun
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Has anyone made a geotargeting dispute with a google ? what were your resultes?

We had a client who was receiving "leads" from users outside of the geotargeting zone.

Google's geolocation tool says they are within the geotargeted area, when the client actually contacts the user the user is saying they live outside the geotargeted area, sometimes by 1000's of miles.  About 10% is experiencing this.

All our geotargeted settings are correct in Adwords.  

We tried to contact google regarding this and the reply from them was

"Our geotargeting tool is working as expected and to the best of its ability, so we will not be giving any credit"

Was anyone actually able to get a refund for this type of dispute where they would accept a reason other than their "geotargeting tool"?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: geotargeting disputes

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

I'm a Googler, not an advertiser, so I don't have any experience using the feature or or knowledge of tricks for getting charges disputed due to geo-targeting.  But I doubt you're going to have much luck.

As far as I know, we've always made it clear that the geo targeting is only approximate and not guaranteed correct all the time.  That's because it depends on the data we get from the end user, which is usually just their IP address.  We can use that to figure out their ISP, but some ISPs are huge (e.g. Comcast, SBC), which makes mapping from IP to geo a rough approximation at best.

We can do better with mobile phones if the user has opted in to the thing that gives the search query page access to what the phone knows about its locaion based cell tower locations or even GPS.

This help center page has more details on the different ways we try to guess user location for geo targeting.

Laura

AdWords engineer

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi...

Till now I didnt Faced any Geo targeting disputes..But, In adwords ads can display out of Geo targeting region based on the keywords with city name or region name...So First you can check if there is any such terms added in your account.

In a geo-targeted campaign if the user includes terms that describe areas within your target, your ad is eligible for display. You will get impressions and clicks from outside your target area. You could mitigate this by adding the city name, etc, as negative keywords. 

Jun
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Jun
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Laura for your insights regarding googles geotargeting policies.

I was not able to access the link you posted. http://http//support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6401

Kasaraneni,

Yes, thats a good point. We've limited the targeting to physical addresses only, and have seen an improvement in the % of leads coming within our geotargeted area.