AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

forced to use Places?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to add adress extensions account in a client account, and it seems I am forced to sign in to Google Places to add it. I can´t add an adress otherwise.

Thing is, my client doesn´t have a Places account, has no intention to get one, can´t be bother to login to do it, and probably has forget is Google-account credentials.

Is it just this account and just a test or something - or is it for all and here to stay?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: forced to use Places?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hmm, seems I can add an adress, but only for an extension that is NOT upgraded (enhanced)

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi David, I have to say that if I had a client like that I'd be disinclined to be bothered to help him run his Account... Smiley Happy

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I noticed the same last week... it is frustrating - and whilst I do agree with Jon that a client who doesn't want to embrace the whole of Google is likely to be more trouble than they might be worth - many of my clients simply want me to "just deal with it all"... but it doesn't make sense for me to run their places listing - I can help them, but it should be with their log in - and in many cases clients - quite rightly - don't want to give me their Google log in - and I don't want it as it give me access to many things I neither need nor should want access to.

In my case I do treat all my clients with total confidentiality - but then I guess everyone would say that, and there is no reason for a client to believe me - especially when this is one of the first things I would normally look to set up on a new account.

It's frustrating.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Spot on Steve!

If you see any posts from Google about this please tell. It´s a significant update if I can´t add adresses "manually" anymore.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I do "get it" - I can see where Google are coming from - but it seems they are forcing us into corners more and more. The whole single log in for everythnig does make sense as does having everything linked to everything else and having a G+ page as the core is probably the best structural solution - but the problem is most people don't really have a clue how to set these things up and they want someone - you and me - to do this for them. But if they give me their single log in I can read all their emails - I can even get into their Google Wallet if they have one - why would anyone want to allow me that level of access?

For my local clients it¡s pretty simple - I can go to their office and sit next to them and set this up in a few minutes. But most of my clients are thousands of miles away - and to try and arrange this on a hangout with screen sharing is beyond most of them - they are busy doing what they do and want me to do what I do - and Google have just tied one hand behind my back....

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Just checking an account where I can add an adress for a campaign manually (just did), but for another campaign I need to set up a Places adress on account level.
Not so logical

Sorry, my mistake, I just added a not-so-enhanced adress.

Upgraded adress extensions apparently need to be Places / +