AdWords
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

excel template for individual ads for 100,000+ keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been having trouble creating an excel spreadsheet for upload in to google ads or adword editor. I run a textbooks website and am trying to create individual ads for each ISBN, but I have over 100,000 ISBN keywords. I guess there are limits on how many keywords per ad group and how many ads per group as well. Can someone guide me on how to create an excel spreadsheet to upload that will enable me to create a unique ad for every keyword without running in to the limits set by google?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: excel template for individual ads for 100,000+ keywords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi rockthecasbah12, you shouldn't really be running into the limits for AdWords, they're way way above 100k Keywords.  Each Account can have 10,000 Campaigns, each with 20,000 Ad Groups and each of those with 20,000 Keywords, although there is a limit of 5,000,000 Keywords per Account.

If you're running into problems, it's probably the 20,000 limit on the Ad Group.  Try splitting your ISBNs into 10 Groups of 10,000 each.

I'm not sure what your Ad and Group relevance will be like with ISBNs and I'd imagine a large number will never be searched.  It's probably not an ideal way to run AdWords to be honest...

More about Account Limits

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the clarification Cobnut. I guess I should have been more clear in my original post. Take for example the following search:
https://www.google.com/#output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=9780073511467&oq=9780073511467&gs_l=hp.12...5...

And if that doesn't work, just search for "9780073511467" on google. You'll see google ads that reference this book specifically. I would like to do this for all 100,000 keywords. How do I set up my account to do this, as I do not believe dynamic search ads work in this instance.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Ah, sorry, I thought you meant you knew how to create the Ads but were simply having problems with the number.  The actual process of using Excel to create Groups and Ads isn't that complex, but it's too much to go into here.  Essentially you have to use a specific format of Worksheet in Excel with Campaign, Group Names, Ads and so on in specific places.  Like I said, it's not hard if you're used to programming or working in Excel, but if you're not you'll probably want to get help from a professional.

In terms of the actual Ad itself, what you're seeing there is (I'm pretty certain) is an example of Dynamic Keyword Insertion.  This is a technique where parts of the Ad Copy are replaced by the Keyword that matched the search term so, in this case, the first two lines of the actual Ad in the AdWords interface might look like:

Shop For {Keyword:Value Books}

Great Prices on ISBN {Keyword:Numbers}

In this example, if someone searched on 98765432101234, the Ad should look as follows:

Shop For 98765432101234

Great Prices on ISBN 98765432101234

The only problem you may face is that you can't absolutely guarantee that the Keyword will be used in the Ad, if it's not the default text will be shown and the Ad would be:

Shop For Value Books

Great Prices on ISBN Numbers

which is obviously not as good.  This isn't a huge issue and we don't think it happens very often, but it's worth trying to make your default text sensible and as good as it can be within the character limits.  Don't forget you only have 25 characters for the Headline and 35 for the other lines so since an ISBN is 14 characters the other text on the lines must be at most 11 characters long or 21 respectively or the Keyword will never be used.

Note you can also use the Keyword in the destination URL so your Ads could automatically direct visitors to the page for the book in question.  For this you'd use the {keyword} variable, for example:

http://www.yourdomain.com/books/?isbn={keyword}

or however else you need to use it.

I'd suggest using the AdWords Editor to import and create your Ads before upload, it's easier to see what's worked and what hasn't and if you've got 100,000 Keywords you'll want to use the Editor in the future anyway.

More about the AdWords Editor

The AdWords Editor and Excel

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
As Cobnut said, I don't think people will search on ISBN numbers much. They'll search on the title. Using the DKI feature with ISBN will generate weird looking ads and may deter people from clicking.

As for generating all those ads, a spreadsheet may be able to do it. You'd have to program it of course. I'm a database guy and have done this sort of thing before. Generating generic ads for all books is not the long-term way to go but at least gets the process started and can be improved for each book. At least it's better in my opinion than using the ISBN in the ad.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

With Microsoft Excel, we can create a report with all the keyword data you will need, all in one place, and fairly easy to update on a weekly or monthly basis. Then with all this data we can easily categorize segments of it to more quickly determine the better performing sets of keywords. What we will need to do is push Google Analytics, Webmaster Tools, Adwords, Ranking data, and Revenue data all into one excel spreadsheet. Then we will put it all together into one master report and one categorized pivot table report. To start, you should be especially familiar with pivot tables, the Google Adwords API, the Google Analytics API, and keyword research of course. Utilizing these APIs and being consistent in the formatting of the data you put into your spreadsheet will make it easy to update.

http://www.keepautomation.com/products/excel_barcode/barcodes/isbn.html