AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

exact match questions

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

i have two adgroups and one has a keyword [kenya running] and the other has a keyword [kenya run] am being told that one ad cant be shown because the keywords are being triggered in another ad. i had assummed exact match meant the way the words appear and without any variation. or is there something am missing could someone please explain this to me and how exact matches changes?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author volunteer c
September 2015

Re: exact match questions

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello volunteer, very good question!

[kenya running] -> will trigger ads only for this exact combination
[kenya run]  -> will trigger ads only for this exact combination

They will never overlap, meaning that, people that search [kenya run] won't see ads set up for [kenya running]. With one exception:

When you have this setting enabled for your campaign:

Exact and phrase match: Include plurals, misspellings, and other close variants.

If you have this setting enabled, it means that:

Your ads can show for close variants of your exact match and phrase match keywords. Close variants include misspellings, singular and plural forms, acronyms, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), abbreviations, and accents. We won't show your ads for synonyms of your exact match and phrase match keywords.

Go to campaign settings and select:

Exact and phrase match: Do not include close variants. 

And it will solve your problem.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes, you should disable it if you want more control.

There are some cases when enabling hurts your campaigns, and also when enabling helps your campaigns. But, on a wider scale I think it usually provides more help than hurting.

I in my specific case I disable it because I have ads in a market in which the users are very action oriented. The users who search for plural have a different "search intent" - they are more focused on gathering information than taking action. So it's a good thing for me. The "search intent" is the core of the problem. If users want the same thing when searching in all the close variants, then enabling it is not a problem.

In your case, if you specifically want to look deeper and optimize for the meaning of each query, then it's a good thing to disable it.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello volunteer, very good question!

[kenya running] -> will trigger ads only for this exact combination
[kenya run]  -> will trigger ads only for this exact combination

They will never overlap, meaning that, people that search [kenya run] won't see ads set up for [kenya running]. With one exception:

When you have this setting enabled for your campaign:

Exact and phrase match: Include plurals, misspellings, and other close variants.

If you have this setting enabled, it means that:

Your ads can show for close variants of your exact match and phrase match keywords. Close variants include misspellings, singular and plural forms, acronyms, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), abbreviations, and accents. We won't show your ads for synonyms of your exact match and phrase match keywords.

Go to campaign settings and select:

Exact and phrase match: Do not include close variants. 

And it will solve your problem.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
hey Remus,

thank you for your advice i did enable that setting although i was aiming to tighten my ads to make sure guys get what they are looking for and to match the words in the ad text. so would you advise to disable that feature in order to have a more tight group or would you enable it?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes, you should disable it if you want more control.

There are some cases when enabling hurts your campaigns, and also when enabling helps your campaigns. But, on a wider scale I think it usually provides more help than hurting.

I in my specific case I disable it because I have ads in a market in which the users are very action oriented. The users who search for plural have a different "search intent" - they are more focused on gathering information than taking action. So it's a good thing for me. The "search intent" is the core of the problem. If users want the same thing when searching in all the close variants, then enabling it is not a problem.

In your case, if you specifically want to look deeper and optimize for the meaning of each query, then it's a good thing to disable it.