AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

[exact] match controversy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone, i'm not a regular contributor here, and sorry to dive in with this controversy, but...

Was anyone shocked to read that exact and phrase match would be relaxed to allow mispellings and plurals? 

Isn't that what modified broad match was for?!

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PPCPROZ
September 2015

Re: [exact] match controversy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Calin,

Yes, I did see that in the adwords blog post.  The original help page, linked from the adwords announcement bubble, did NOT mention it, probably should though.

Usually the default campaign setting is the one which brings more revenue to Adwords, so newbies will should always review camaign settings carefully, always. Never assume the defualt setting is the best setting.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Spoiler

Yeah, I've got to say I'm upset by this poorly-thought out change. This is not helpful for people who actually know what they're doing with adwords - anyone who's managed a serious account will tell you that misspellings and close variants are not equivalent to their origin terms, either in terms of performance, audience, or even relevance.

This is why I hated managing Yahoo accounts - precisely that you couldn't be sure that your "standard" match keywords were matching to what you wanted. The whole thing was a wooly, undefined nightmare.

This is a step backwards. Don't be like Yahoo. I seriously urge anyone reading this who has the power to do so, to reconsider.

EDIT: Having done some more research, it appears that this will be a toggleable option. This should probably be mentioned in the help material where people can find it.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi PPCPROZ,

Forums are indeed controversial and so as the topic you raised here Smiley Happy

I would like to see how actually it goes starting mid May as per the announcement and how actually the searches are affected by this revolutionary change. So stay tuned!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi, ppcproz.

You did notice the differences between "near phrase", "near exact" and modified broad, right? They're not quite the same.

In the end, as long as this behaviour can be toggled on and off, I think we can only be happy for it. In case we want to use it, it's there. Don't want to use it? Turn it off.

It'll be interesting to see which will be the default behaviour. I assume it'll be the top radio button, which means we'll have to turn it off manually.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PPCPROZ
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Calin,

Yes, I did see that in the adwords blog post.  The original help page, linked from the adwords announcement bubble, did NOT mention it, probably should though.

Usually the default campaign setting is the one which brings more revenue to Adwords, so newbies will should always review camaign settings carefully, always. Never assume the defualt setting is the best setting.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi,

I think the default settings are going to be opt-in...that is what I'm seeing in my accounts.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

In the Adwords blog they say:

"Again, these controls will begin rolling out in the coming weeks to all AdWords accounts. But, to be clear, the new matching behavior won’t actually start until mid-May. "

And i am really afraid that this will increase the amount of spending for most advertisers...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think I've worked out the bigger issue here - regardless of whether we have tight control over our own campaigns, it's likely that our competitors who aren't so savvy won't have noticed and will now be appearing for more terms where once we had competitive advantage through keyword coverage. This means more competition for keywords and while Google say that CPCs will be comparable, I don't believe that for a second - this is going to drive up costs for all of us, whether we opt out or not.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

Personally I think this should be integrated into the editor much like ad delivery etc. then it wouldn't cause people to leave it running by mistake when they don't want to. It should also be set default as off as the traffic will increase and in turn start to cost more. All in all it will be interesting to see what the results are from this. When building account I include plurals and mispelt variants anyway so if this turns out to be beneficial to the creating of our accounts then it will save a lot of time! The big question is related to quality score and how it will be affected.

Thanks,

Liam

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

It's quiet interesting to understand, since Google is always suggesting the correct spelling with "Did you mean?"  and then showing the ad, so this feature was actually performing without an official name... is this correct?