AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

does the ad appear on top, bottom, side, all 3, none?!??!?!

J W
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
J W
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have listed a new ad in Google Adwords.

On some pages, 2 links are highlighted at the top, with my ad appearing on the right hand side.

For other keywords, my ad appears at the bototm of the page, while a competitor has it highlighted at the top.

For some other keywords, the ad doesn;t appear at all.

What is going on with Google Adwords?

How do you make an ad appear on the top highlighted in pink/orange rather than appearing on the side?

Also, why would Google list one company at the top in pink, yet another company at the bottom in pink.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: does the ad appear on top, bottom, side, all 3, none?!??!?!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello J W

You are refering to your ad positions. Google will show you for each of your keywords an average ad position. Generally speaking an ad position of 1 through 3 will be at the top of the search engine page. 4 or higher will be in the right column or bottom of page. Anything above 7 runs the risk of not showing on the frist page.

The two main factors that affect your average postion is Quality score and you max bid. Read more about quality score here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010 . You need to focus on both to run an effective AdWords Campaign.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi JW

This is also a nice tutorial (video) about ad ranks: http://adwords.blogspot.ch/2009/03/introduction-to-ad-auction.html

Regards

Aleks

J W
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
J W
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
But sometimes, there is nothing on the right.
For example, I have seen 1 search term with 1 ad at the t, my ad at the
bottom and that's it...nothing on the right at all.
So, to get my ad in the top, I have to increase the budget?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

If you are reaching your budget everyday then by default Google will turn your ads on and off throughout the day.  If your ad is appearing below a competitor's ad then you'll need to raise your quality score and/or your bid for that keyword.  If your ad is showing on the bottom of the page and there is no paid ads at the top then that is different issue all togetehr.

Google ultimatelly decided how their paid ads shows. Sometimes they decided that all paid ads for a search phrase should appear at the bottom on the page or they may decided not to show any ads at all for a search phrase.  If this is the case than there really isn't anything you can do.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi J W,

In order for your ad to show in a top position, they keyword must have a minimum QS. Google does not disclose what that QS threshhold is, but certainly 8/10 or higher. If your keyword does not meet that minimum QS, no amount of bidding will get you into a top position.

How do you get a better QS for your keyword? The key is increasing CTR. If the keyword is not relevant to the ad copy in the group, consider creating a new ad group focusing on the keyword. Improve your ad copy, tighten up the keywords in the ad group using all match type (BMM rather than Broad match).

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords