AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

display url

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi everyone! Smiley Happy

Regarding Display URL, is it ok for an ad to have the display url as example.com/sample and another ad (both from the same Ad Group) with example.com/better-sample? I've been told that ALL ads in the Ad Group need to have exactly the SAME display url, and if you don't that Google will penalize you. Is this right?

Thank you very much!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Daniel V
September 2015

Re: display url

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I must disagree here.

Let's read the Display URL policy :

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/175906?hl=en

" Use only one website per ad group

• We allow only one display URL domain to be used for all ads within a particular ad group. In other words, all display URLs within an ad group need to be hosted in the same site, even the URLs for your paused ads. If you want to advertise a different site, we suggest that you create a new campaign or a new ad group. "

So it is one website per ad group not one URL per ad group. As long as the URL is in the same domain, it can be any link on that domain.

Only different websites require different ad groups.

The example of the user has the same domain in the URL.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Daniel V,
Yes, With in your ad group your display url should be same. if you don't then your ads will be disapproved.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Daniel V
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I must disagree here.

Let's read the Display URL policy :

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/175906?hl=en

" Use only one website per ad group

• We allow only one display URL domain to be used for all ads within a particular ad group. In other words, all display URLs within an ad group need to be hosted in the same site, even the URLs for your paused ads. If you want to advertise a different site, we suggest that you create a new campaign or a new ad group. "

So it is one website per ad group not one URL per ad group. As long as the URL is in the same domain, it can be any link on that domain.

Only different websites require different ad groups.

The example of the user has the same domain in the URL.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Daniel,
You will be able to use that. Please make sure your domain (example.com) is same within single Adgroup for both ads.

Regards,
Balu.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian B!

I read that too in the Advertising Policies Help, but I still wasn't sure if it would apply also to the "end" of the display url. I was having this discussion with colleagues yesterday and they agreed ALL the display url should remain the same, but I wasn't really taken by that. So I'll continue doing that.

Thank you! Smiley Very Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you LathaBalu!

Yes, the domain is always the same, only the "tail" after '/' changes.

Smiley Very Happy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
that should be fine.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Try also reading the info from here.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704389?hl=en

Especially the section "Long display URLs" . It contains instructions on how to use the rich snippets called "breadcrumbs" to make your URL more interesting to the user.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Daniel V,
As Adwords policy says, If your display url example.com/xyz then your display url should be same in different ads under one ad group. If you want to change your display url example.com/abc, you have to create a seperate ad group.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

@sumanppc    Please read again the policy, it has been the same for years.

Think about why sitelinks were added as an innovation : to lead users to different URLs in the same domain.