AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

display network - multiple (but solely) topic/interest targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

When I have a adgroup in the display network (only) and I target 2 topics/interests and nothing more (keyword, age, etc), these 2 sets of audiences in the logical AND or in OR combination are?

So if I target for eg the Automotive and Art topics, what will be the final targeted audience?

- those people who visit the websites about automotive AND art, but those are not targeted who visit websites about automotive without any art related stuff on it,

- wheter the websites are automotive OR art related, even those people too are targeted who visit websites about automotive without any art related stuff on it.

Thanks.

Szabolcs

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: display network - multiple (but solely) topic/interest targeting

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Nice question;

AND condition would apply unless Remarketing is used.In the latter, the relationship between interests and Remarketing would be OR .

I would recommend   topics and keywords. Then, if you choose  "target and bid",  the AND condition applies

(Edited due to ambiguous language ).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Moshe for the reply.

I assume that the OR condition applies to topics as well, right?

...many times it occurs that I have to take out the keyword from the targeting as it makes the targeting too narrow...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I did not want to get into that in my initial reply, not to complicate further;

For topics; keywords, placements the OR condition applies, only if you use "bid only" (vs the default "target and bid"

Check this discussion on the topic:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/What-is-exactly-Bid-Only-and-Targ...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
well, the "bid only" vs "target and bid" in case of 2 topics targeting only might still work in the OR way, as you mentioned.
I think that is the same when you have more kws per adgroup and you target kw+topic. Between the same type (now between kws) there is OR connection. This you can vary by "bid only" vs "target and bid".
Though between 2 topics - even with "target and bid" - there is OR relation...I think...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Let me try and clarify;

• If interests  and Remareting used simultaneously    the OR condition would apply between the two. Within each, the AND condition would apply (assuming "target and bid")
  • Topics; keywords and Placements;  - among them: whether  AND applies or OR applies  depends whether you use "target and bid" or "bid only"

[Edited for clarification due to ambiguous wording]

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
You may find this link useful:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497941

In particular the paragraph below:

How audiences differ from topic targeting

In a nutshell, the difference is context. Topic targeting allows you to place ads on pages directly related to the topic you've selected. With topic targeting, your ads are more likely to be contextually relevant. Targeting by topics is an alternative to selecting individual placements where your ad can appear, or individual keywords that will trigger your ad.

By contrast, audiences allow you to reach visitors across the Google Display Network who’ve demonstrated specific interests, regardless of whether your ad correlates with the particular topic of the page they're currently on.

Cheers,
Vineesh..

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
strange:
I have couple of dozen remarketing campaigns and there the kw+audience targeting has AND connection...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Vineesh,

Thanks, but the question *targeted* different *topic* Smiley Happy
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Szabolcs O
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@szabolcs ;

re-reading my answer it could be ambiguous because of AND / OR are  used as math operators  and use prepositions within a sentence;

A better wording would be:  "when you use either interests or re-marketing the relationship between the two would be of OR"

When you add another targeting method to either interests / or re-marketing-  AND condition would apply (e,g KWs AND Re-marketing - as in your example).

I will edit my answer