AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

creating multiple product listing ad campaigns using filters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, i work for an architectural supply company, we have products that right now we are using the PLA feature in adwords to set up and sell nation wide, its doing well so i wanted to set up another campaign to sell items that we only offer locally because of the size and weight of the product ( Molding, Doors, windows  ect.) i was told that the way to do that is to set up product extentions and link it to my merchant account and then set up filters for each campaign in the settings for the product extentions.

i was reading on a topic ( https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/160081 )  to find out how to do this, when going into my campaign settings i noticed that the product extentions was discontinued as of may 2013, (IE."At the end of May 2013, we retired product extension ads. The performance statistics for date ranges after this time will be zero.") so im wondering if this is still the best way to filter out what products i want to show in each individual campaign, or if it even works. is this going to be changed? im worried if i change it all right now in a few months it goes away and then all of a sudden im behind the curve.... i just want to make sure im doing things the correct way to get the best results out of my campaign.

any help would be appreciated!!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Webmaster-TAC
September 2015

Re: creating multiple product listing ad campaigns using filters

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi there, 

This is a great question, thanks for asking it. The answer will depend on whether you are using a Product Listing Ads (PLA) campaign or one of our newly introduced Google Shopping campaign. I've outlined below how you should go about this for each campaign type: 

PLA Campaign: 

Assign a product target to the products that you want to target locally. Make sure that this product target is assigned to only those products. Using an AdWords Label will probably work best. Once you have this set up in your feed you will be able to create a new campaign with local targetting that pulls only these products by following these steps: 

• Create your campaign with location targeting and a blank AdGroup
  • Click the Auto targets tab
  • Click Add product target
  • Select the ad group where you'd like to create the product target
  • Select the AdWords Label attribute and the corresponding value from your feed. (This value must match the value in your Merchant Center feed exactly, or your ads won't be eligible to show for this target)
  • Click Save

Google Shopping Campaign:

The process for the newly introduced Google Shopping campaigns is similar. The only difference is that the information from your feed will be automatically pulled into the campaign you create. So you will create a product group and be able to select your AdWords Label as a custom label (similar to an Auto Target) within it, just make sure that this is the only custom label you select for your locally targeted campaign.

Let us know if you have any further questions about this. 

Hannah

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Webmaster-TAC
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi there, 

This is a great question, thanks for asking it. The answer will depend on whether you are using a Product Listing Ads (PLA) campaign or one of our newly introduced Google Shopping campaign. I've outlined below how you should go about this for each campaign type: 

PLA Campaign: 

Assign a product target to the products that you want to target locally. Make sure that this product target is assigned to only those products. Using an AdWords Label will probably work best. Once you have this set up in your feed you will be able to create a new campaign with local targetting that pulls only these products by following these steps: 

• Create your campaign with location targeting and a blank AdGroup
  • Click the Auto targets tab
  • Click Add product target
  • Select the ad group where you'd like to create the product target
  • Select the AdWords Label attribute and the corresponding value from your feed. (This value must match the value in your Merchant Center feed exactly, or your ads won't be eligible to show for this target)
  • Click Save

Google Shopping Campaign:

The process for the newly introduced Google Shopping campaigns is similar. The only difference is that the information from your feed will be automatically pulled into the campaign you create. So you will create a product group and be able to select your AdWords Label as a custom label (similar to an Auto Target) within it, just make sure that this is the only custom label you select for your locally targeted campaign.

Let us know if you have any further questions about this. 

Hannah

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello, Webmaster-TAC.

You were advised correctly, the way to go is through product extensions & filters. The warning is also correct, but it refers to product extension ads, not product listing ads. They are different ad types, and product extension ads are no longer available.

Product listing ads, on the other hand, are booming and are here to stay and prosper Smiley Happy.

Good luck!

(Later edit: my remark pertains to PLAs, for Shopping campaigns @Hannah has the answer for you in her reply above)

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.