AdWords
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

cpc estimation on display

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

hi,

For sure it's not obvious to get an average cpc cost estimation, as placement, format, sizes are changing according inventory from advertisers, competition and so on..But, is there a way (ratio ? / tips ) to get, as with the search (kw planner), a rough estimation regarding a cost per click (CPC average) when launching a display campaign . Display planner  gives for instance , 0,00 - 0, 50 € CPC  can we say that  on average that 0,25 € would be the median cpc for this  kw, topics ?

Thanks again..

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author garguier s
September 2015

Re: cpc estimation on display

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

For me the reality never confirmed what the Display Planner shows there. Depending on your CTR, the bid can be smaller or greater than that interval. Testing is the only solution for finding out what bid works for a placement.

Measuring the Relative CTR metric or the impressions share helps, it gives you an idea of how good your Ad is compared to the rest or if you need to increase the budget.

Also the Ad status can indicate why it is not running.

Read the following article to understand how to better diagnose your Ads in relationship with placements :

http://adwords.blogspot.ro/2011/06/today-innovations-in-targeting.html

Try to exclude the Below the fold category to gain better visibility for your Ads :

http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/abovethefold.html

After you set Custom bids for placement, You can set automated rules to increase the bid according to impression count from the day before , for example if it falls under 5000 for a placement, increase bid by 20% today and a similar daily rule to decrease the bid if the impressions are yesterday above 20.000 impressions or a certain number of clicks.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

I think if you analyse the Display Planner more closely, you will see that when you enter any keyword or website URL to see the ideas you can get various Display targeting options available, there is a column of Historical CPC, which you gives an approximation of  how ad auction has worked in the past for advertisers using those keywords. And on top of it, this Hist. CPC is available for all the options i.e. Keywords, interests, Topics, Placements.

So if you are looking for a benchmark, I think you can ideally choose a CPC depending upon that Hist. CPC data which this tool provides. And once you campaign starts performing, you can tweak the bids accordingly. Please also be aware of the fact that all are approximations and might vary.

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author garguier s
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

For me the reality never confirmed what the Display Planner shows there. Depending on your CTR, the bid can be smaller or greater than that interval. Testing is the only solution for finding out what bid works for a placement.

Measuring the Relative CTR metric or the impressions share helps, it gives you an idea of how good your Ad is compared to the rest or if you need to increase the budget.

Also the Ad status can indicate why it is not running.

Read the following article to understand how to better diagnose your Ads in relationship with placements :

http://adwords.blogspot.ro/2011/06/today-innovations-in-targeting.html

Try to exclude the Below the fold category to gain better visibility for your Ads :

http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/abovethefold.html

After you set Custom bids for placement, You can set automated rules to increase the bid according to impression count from the day before , for example if it falls under 5000 for a placement, increase bid by 20% today and a similar daily rule to decrease the bid if the impressions are yesterday above 20.000 impressions or a certain number of clicks.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi pankaj1782 and Adrian B,

Thanks both of you  for your responses. That help me a lot..

Historial cpc, the automated rules according the impressions, the below the fold tip is awesome !

So, to start with, as for the search, according to the budget, i can have an agressive  bid strategy , let's say 25 % more than the highest historical cpc given,  so for example : 0,50 € (hist cpc) , choose 0,63/0,65 ? And watch the results..? that sound reliable ?

How long roughly does it take to have an idea of the market (1 week, a day) ?

Tks again...

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Costs fluctuate too much during a year so monitor weekly and monthly costs to verify for changes.

Anyway the important thing to monitor is the conversion cost, you can have a double cost for clicks but if conversion cost is constant, your sales also double so your profit per placement also doubles.

A good strategy for costs in the GDN is to have Ad groups for text ads separated from banners for the same placements. This is because in 1 advertising space of a large banner like a half page 300 x 600 pixel banner, even 4 text ads can be served so text Ads cost less than banners.

To understand how to tailor your text ads , read the following article, this explains how lately the Titles in text ads have more importance in the GDN because they show up first :

http://adsense.blogspot.ro/2013/09/redesigned-text-ads-on-the-Google-Display-Network.html

Also a high CTR text ad can ocupy the entire space of a banner, leaving a lot of free blank space :

http://adsense.blogspot.ro/2013/04/understanding-dynamics-of-adsense_25.html

"When this occurs, we’ll show them alone, and this means you’ll see less than the full number of text ads in the ad unit."