AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

conversion showing up in wrong category?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am new to this, but i have a search campaign and display campaign running. I decided to test the conversion tracking of my site, so i searched for an exact phrase match on google that is in my google search campaign. I transacted, waited a few hours and checked my ad words account tonight. For some reason, the conversion showed up under my display campaign, and under the wrong ad.

I know this is my conversion, as i havent had an order for all of yesterday or today (which is why i tested in the first place)

anyone have any thoughts on this? the search term i used is also a keyword in my display network, but i clearly clicked the ad that came up on a google search for the exact keyword in question.

thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: conversion showing up in wrong category?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

The first step to troubleshoot your issue is to ensure that the code is place on the right campaign and on the right web page where your conversion is completed.

Please follow the procedure stated on AdWords Help Center.

Confirm that the code is on the correct page

1. Go to your website and visit your conversion confirmation page. That's the page customers see after they've completed a conversion -- say, a "thank you" page after they make a purchase or sign up for a newsletter.
  2. Check the source code for your webpage. Here's how, depending on your browser:
    • Firefox: Click View > Page Source from the browser's menu or press ctrl-U.
    • Google Chrome: Click the icon that looks like a wrench, then clickTools > View Source.
    • Internet Explorer: Click View > Source in the browser's tool bar.
    • Safari: Click View > View source
  3. Now look for the conversion code. If the code was successfully placed, you'll see a comment tag that looks like this: <! -- Google Code for {Action name} Conversion Page -->. The {Action name} should be the one you entered earlier in the field "Action name."
  4. If the code isn't on your page, you  will need to go through the conversion tracking sign-up process and add the code.

Verify code snippet

After following the steps for one of these options, you can see conversions in your AdWords account by clicking the Campaigns tab, or by going to the Tools and Analysis tab and selecting "Conversions." Remember that updates to your account can take up to 24 hours.

More Power,
Loraine

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

The first step to troubleshoot your issue is to ensure that the code is place on the right campaign and on the right web page where your conversion is completed.

Please follow the procedure stated on AdWords Help Center.

Confirm that the code is on the correct page

1. Go to your website and visit your conversion confirmation page. That's the page customers see after they've completed a conversion -- say, a "thank you" page after they make a purchase or sign up for a newsletter.
  2. Check the source code for your webpage. Here's how, depending on your browser:
    • Firefox: Click View > Page Source from the browser's menu or press ctrl-U.
    • Google Chrome: Click the icon that looks like a wrench, then clickTools > View Source.
    • Internet Explorer: Click View > Source in the browser's tool bar.
    • Safari: Click View > View source
  3. Now look for the conversion code. If the code was successfully placed, you'll see a comment tag that looks like this: <! -- Google Code for {Action name} Conversion Page -->. The {Action name} should be the one you entered earlier in the field "Action name."
  4. If the code isn't on your page, you  will need to go through the conversion tracking sign-up process and add the code.

Verify code snippet

After following the steps for one of these options, you can see conversions in your AdWords account by clicking the Campaigns tab, or by going to the Tools and Analysis tab and selecting "Conversions." Remember that updates to your account can take up to 24 hours.

More Power,
Loraine

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello mshieh0373,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

Loraine is correct! 

I transacted, waited a few hours and checked my ad words account tonight. For some reason, the conversion showed up under my display campaign, and under the wrong ad.

Please note that there is a delay of 24 hrs in conversion tracking. (Look at the bottom of your adwords interface, it says the same thing.) Hence if you did a test conversion, wait for maximum of 24 hrs to see the actual stats getting accrued inside your adwords account. For more details, you can also refer to this conversion tracking troubleshooter here.

Just a thought!

Pankaj