AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

confusion about display ads

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hello, 

I have recently ran into Larry Kim's presentation from spring of this year and he mentioned in that presentation, that same formats of display ads do compete with each other, while different formats do not.

I'm trying to figure out how exactly he ment this, since I only have this one slide and no background to it.

In which way do these ads compete with each other?

So far I have this: If there will be auction of ads for some websites where 2 ad formats are possible, then it doesn't mean I my rectangle ad will be battleing for ad spot with skyscrapper ad for example. Do I get this right?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tomáš Kraus
September 2015

Re: confusion about display ads

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

That information is partially correct. The logic is that publishers decide which size their ad space is and a vertical banner will not fit in a horizontal ad space. But there are also similar size ads which will compete for example a 300x250px banner can compete in a spot for 336x280 pixels and small square 200x200px can appear in a square size ad spot of 250x250px .These pairs of sizes are scalable.Also a text ads with CPM bidding can occupy an entire space normally fit for a large banner.I think what the article teaches us is to group banners by sizes and bid differently by the ad group , larger size , bigger bid.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tomáš Kraus
September 2015

Re: confusion about display ads

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

That information is partially correct. The logic is that publishers decide which size their ad space is and a vertical banner will not fit in a horizontal ad space. But there are also similar size ads which will compete for example a 300x250px banner can compete in a spot for 336x280 pixels and small square 200x200px can appear in a square size ad spot of 250x250px .These pairs of sizes are scalable.Also a text ads with CPM bidding can occupy an entire space normally fit for a large banner.I think what the article teaches us is to group banners by sizes and bid differently by the ad group , larger size , bigger bid.