AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

companion videos banner - for True view in-stream ads

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Can anyone confirm that this is a companion video banner - As marked

How do I select this option "Video companion banner" when creating a trueview In-Stream Ad campaign?

Playlist-Trueview-VideoPlaylistCompanion-video-ad.jpg

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeremy W
September 2015

Re: companion videos banner - for True view in-stream ads

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Jeremy,

I had come across this video banner once and had written to Google asking how exactly can I do this for my accounts and this particular ad format is called a "Video Wall". It is a system generated unit which automatically picks up the last five videos from the channel and arranges them in the 300x250 space.

Since this is a system populated unit and not a paid ad unit, you may not always see this for all videos.

Hope this answers your question !

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Jeremy,

I cannot confirm that this is for sure a Companion Banner, but it sure looks like it to me.  To add a Companion Banner, here are the steps outlined by @Hannah  on this informative Community article:

• Select the video campaign you want to edit.
  • Click the Ads tab.
  • Hover over the ad you want to edit and click on the pencil.
  • Click Advanced ad attributes (optional) to further customize your ad images (including companion banners where applicable), and your video landing page.
  • Click Choose File and upload a file that adheres to our technical specifications.
  • Ad Preview: Preview your ad in the formats you've selected.
  • Click Save.

Fore more details and specifications on YouTube Companion Banners, see here and here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for the response - Why does it look like companion ad to you?

- Obviously it is in the right place, but this is not really that definitive or insightful.

So can you elaborate in more detail why you think it looks like a companion banner?

Each of the separate videos can be uniquely played depending on where you click the banner for selection - Like a playlist listing is shown in the player on the play page - I have seen quite a number of these now - And the best I can see for an explanation is that this is a video companions, rather than an image ad companion.

Creating a companion is a fairly straight forward task, but if this is a companion - How is this specific type of companion created?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeremy W
September 2015

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Jeremy,

I had come across this video banner once and had written to Google asking how exactly can I do this for my accounts and this particular ad format is called a "Video Wall". It is a system generated unit which automatically picks up the last five videos from the channel and arranges them in the 300x250 space.

Since this is a system populated unit and not a paid ad unit, you may not always see this for all videos.

Hope this answers your question !

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hey Jeremy,
I agree with Shashank on this.. This is called a video wall... the companion banner is just a static image... This one has multiple videos in the same unit.
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Shashank - Thanks for that - Interesting stuff - And I have further info from Google below that emphasizes your point even more.

If you watch youtube.com - Training for Partners - (This is set to play at a specific time 8:20 in the Google in the partners training video) .

Your answer confirms the real issue I was wondering about - Namely; how does this type of Companion banner (built as a video wall) actually get placed? - And your response that you shared from Google helps - Since they tell you - that this is automated (in their algorithm) for placements.

Further: If you watch the video a few seconds after the specific time I set the video to play from - it says that "These banners are automatically generated"

I had assumed prior to this that they were being generated through some kind of options available (but I was unable to actually locate) for the advertiser in adwords for video, but it is simply an automatic process decided by Google's view of your Channel and possibly other factors (not sure what these context measurements by Google might be that decide this type of placement though) .

Good to get your input

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Shweta - Good to get your input.

If you watch the video posted in my reply to Shashank above - This might highlight some of the issues more clearly.

This is a companion video to Instream - It is one of the two companion types that can be placed here, namely: 1. Image companion 2. Video companion - Banner

But to throw a little more confusion into the pot - It seems that Google like to also call this a video wall - So while it is more normal to see image ads in this placement - There are video companion banners that can also show, which are also called Video walls.

Hope this helps.

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the updated info. This indeed is a great way to advertise on Youtube, if only we had some kind of control on it ( one can only wish that was possible). Maybe we will get the customization option once this ad type is not in Beta.

Do let us know if you get any further info on this.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Shashank -

I never realized this was in Beta - So then this makes sense what we are finding here - I will post if I get more from my end.

And keep up your good work - From your end.

Thanks Again

Jeremy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thank you for the info!