AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

clicks to visits discrepancies and extremely low conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

First the good things.This community is great.Someone here advised me once to contact my local adword representative and I did and she was AWESOME.Explained to me how to solve my problem or get around it and it worked.Some Ads stayed with eligible status for more than 5 days but when I emailed google, it was solved immediately.And all Ads were approved.Now the problems.First, a huge difference between number of clicks of Adwords compared to Analytics visits comparing same 3 days ago (29th may 1 AM was the first day for the code to be implemented) Analytics shows only 40 visits from adwords vs 140 clicks.I read a post by google employee that it should be around 10% difference for several reasons.well this is way above 10%. more than 300%.Are my links auto tagged?, yes. are the codes firing properly?yes.followed the steps chrome developer tool, refreshed searched for the two files and found them for each url destination Im advertising.But at the same time, im getting strange direct traffic and analytics shows the landing page as FORMS (newsletter, requests and contact).those can't be direct traffic.Accessible only from homepage.I don't even know their exact url.one of them is a pop up when clicked from the homepage.may be there is a problem with analytics showing those to be direct when they are from google ADs.I hope it is that simple.Still the biggest problem is conversion.extremely low conversion.if the figures shown by analytics are the correct ones than the conversion rate is not horrible but that means that there is a big problem with the number of clicks Adwords is showing (CAN'T BE).  I ran a different campaign on a different channel targeting same people and the results were immediate from day one.I can't figure out how on earth conversions on google turn out so so low while targeting 100% potential clients searching for our services.An option not available in the other channel.What Am I missing? I'm already designing new landing pages for each and every AD but it will take time.what else I can do?Any Advise will be highly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: clicks to visits discrepancies and extremely low conversions

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

HI Hossam,

Welcome to the community,

Clicks are not the same as Visit. Analytics tracks visits while Adwords Tracks Clicks.When a user clicks on your ad twice within thirty minutes without closing his/her browser, this is registered by Analytics as one visit to your site while Adwords will count two clicks.

Again,AdWords automatically filters Invalid clicks from your reports, while Analytics reports on all the resulting visits to your website.

Find more help here 

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034383?hl=en

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

HI Hossam,

Welcome to the community,

Clicks are not the same as Visit. Analytics tracks visits while Adwords Tracks Clicks.When a user clicks on your ad twice within thirty minutes without closing his/her browser, this is registered by Analytics as one visit to your site while Adwords will count two clicks.

Again,AdWords automatically filters Invalid clicks from your reports, while Analytics reports on all the resulting visits to your website.

Find more help here 

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034383?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Shuva for trying to help.I read everything on adwords before posting and as I mentioned I even read a post by a google employee stating that it should be around 10% difference between figures in adwords and analytics.I don't think the problem is in adwords since I see traffic in analytics showing as DIRECT traffic. but it can't be direct since as I mentioned the user can't visit the forms from the address bar.I don't think there is a user who types www.domain.com/contact  for example. and if there were, I don't think they will account for 2/3 of my traffic! Smiley Surprised

Thanks again 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am not an authority but I was once told that the person who clicked on an ad must have Java or javascript enabled on their browser for Google Analytics to record the visit. You might ask your account rep the next time you speak with him/her. I can't suggest any reason why you are getting the, otherwise, strange responses. Hope this helps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Edmond, I was with my developer on the phone for the last hour and he referred a page online suggesting many reasons why Analytics fail to give accurate numbers.One of the reasons is javascript as you mentioned.but there are many more.Now if Analytics is giving low figures as unique visitors, this should in turn affect any goals or conversions we are tracking. how can anyone  (with a case like mine) rely on those figures if the number of unique visitors is way wrong. I won't depend on Analytics at least on certain metrics and I'll go for a server based web stats program.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, really appreciate it Smiley Happy