AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

changing adgroup cpc to keyword cpc

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

des anyone know how to move the bids from ad group level to keyword level (should be the same, just for the keyword) for a very large number of keywords?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Kamila

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kamila K
April 2016

Re: changing adgroup cpc to keyword cpc

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Kamila K

Yes, I have used the script and it worked.
But my goal was a bit different than yours, and the main difference was that the keyword's bid was to be higher than the adgroup's bid.
I just tested it on an account of mine and found what's missing:
When the keyword's bid is different than the adgroup's bid, the script is working, but when the keyword's bid is empty (meaning it's using the adgroup's bid in the first place), than the script is actually changing nothing.
A simple fix would be to add another line, which would change the keyword's bid to a different bid than the adgroup's bid, and then change it back to the adgroup's bid. I just tried it, and it works for me, and the bid is now on the keyword's level.
Here is the script with the added line in red:

function main() {

// GET THE KEYWORDS
  var keywordIterator = AdWordsApp.keywords().get(); // All account's keywords. Can be modified to include conditions

// RUN THROUGH THE KEYWORDS AND CHANGE THEIR MAX CPC
  while (keywordIterator.hasNext()) {
    var keyword = keywordIterator.next();
    var adgroup = keyword.getAdGroup(); // Get the keyword's AdGroup
    var adgroupBid = adgroup.bidding().getCpc(); // Get the AdGroup's Bid

keyword.setMaxCpc(adgroupBid * 0.9); // Assign the keyword with a different bid than the AdGroup's bid
    keyword.setMaxCpc(adgroupBid); // Assign the AdGroup bid to the keyword
  }
}

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Kamila K,

By default Ad group level bid is automatically applicable in keywords under that ad groups. You don't need to change any bid on keyword level. if you will change bids on keywords, Bid will be override.

Hope I helped you.

Thanks
Virendra
Google Adwords Expert

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Kamila,

If I am not wrong, you want to set the default cpc bid for all the keywords to the adgroup bid.

Go to the keywords tab within any particular adgroup, check all the keywords. Now click edit tab >> change max CPC bids. Leave the text box blank to remove keyword level bid and making to adgroup's default bid.

** please check the number of rows per page at the bottom of adwords dashboard, make it maximum by drop down.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Archit,

actually I need to do it other way round: from defeault ad group level to
keyword level. I want to do bidding on the keyword level in the future.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

If you want to set a different bid for particular set of keywords then the process is same, this time you need to check only those keywords instead of all and instead of blank write down the amount which you are willing to pay for those keywords.
If you want to choose the specific bids for different keywords then you can directly edit the bid amount in the keywords tab corresponding to the keywords.

And if you want to opt a different bid(same) for all the keywords of an adgroup then best way is change the adgroup's default bid, it will be reflected to all the keywords of that adgroup.

Please note that the specific will always override the general. so keywords bid will replace the adgroup bid.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Kamila,

As a side note, please understand that it is how AdWords is structured i.e. Campaign>>Ad Groups>> keywords.

You will have to assign some default bid to your ad group and then make the bidding changes across your keywords which you want to. You will not be able to skip that step of assigning bid to the ad group.

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Kamila K

From what I understand, you have some reason you wish to assign bids at keyword level, even if those bids are the same in the adgroup level.
Basically what @Archit said is a good way. You can check all the keywords within an adgroup, and bulk assign the bid to all of them together.

If you have a "very large number of keywords", I assume you also have a large number of adgroups, and then going into each adgroup, checking all keywords, and assigning a bid can still be a long task.
In this case, you can do one of the two:

1. Open the account in Adwords Editor, remove all keywords current bids (if you wish them to be identical to the adgroup's bid), sort the keywords by Max CPC, and then multi select (chose the first, hold "shift", chose the last) all keywords with the same bid (e.g. $1), and write that exact bid in the "Max CPC" on the bottom (see image):
1.jpg
Repeat this for all the different bids you have.

2. Use a script to go over the keywords and assign them the bid of the adgroup on their own level:

function main() {

// GET THE KEYWORDS
  var keywordIterator = AdWordsApp.keywords().get(); // All account's keywords. Can be modified to include conditions

}
}

Hope that helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arik,

thanks for good tips! Before I wrote this post I tried the first option but
still i took a lot of time. Now I've tried the script you sent and
unfortunately it did not work for me. Nothing happened. I tried again after
changing last line (see below). Stil doesn't work. Have you used the script
for you account? Does it work for you?

function main() { // GET THE KEYWORDS
var keywordIterator = AdWordsApp.keywords()
.get();
keyword.bidding().setCpc(adgroupBid); // Assign the AdGroup bid to the
keyword
}}

Best regards,
kamila
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kamila K
April 2016

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Kamila K

Yes, I have used the script and it worked.
But my goal was a bit different than yours, and the main difference was that the keyword's bid was to be higher than the adgroup's bid.
I just tested it on an account of mine and found what's missing:
When the keyword's bid is different than the adgroup's bid, the script is working, but when the keyword's bid is empty (meaning it's using the adgroup's bid in the first place), than the script is actually changing nothing.
A simple fix would be to add another line, which would change the keyword's bid to a different bid than the adgroup's bid, and then change it back to the adgroup's bid. I just tried it, and it works for me, and the bid is now on the keyword's level.
Here is the script with the added line in red:

function main() {

// GET THE KEYWORDS

keyword.setMaxCpc(adgroupBid * 0.9); // Assign the keyword with a different bid than the AdGroup's bid
  }
}

Not applicable
# 10
Not applicable
Hi Arik,

thanks for your help. I tried the script and it works. I only had problem with bids that already have been on the keyword level (yes, there was a bit messy in some accounts) but I've discovered that i can donwload all the keywords from adwords interface, change the column "max cpc" to "Keyword max cpc", upload and than it also works Smiley Happy

Anyway thanks for your help. The script is a very nice solution for the accounts where i have no bids on kw level.