AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

can retargeting cookie pool be based on utm_content?

[ Edited ]
Not applicable
# 1
Not applicable

Can a GDN retargeting cookie pool be based on utm_content=keyword1 ?  We want to drive demand gen campaigns to a specific audience.  Then when they click the links to the content offers, cookie them based on the keyword value used in utm_content.  Then create a GDN retargeting campaign based on utm_content=keyword1.

I went into Adwords > Shared Library > Audiences > Remarketing List > Website Visitors > to build a rule for remarketing to utm_content=keyword1.  However, I couldn't figure out how to do that.

And our paid search consultant said that it might not be possible to set up a retargeting campaign based on utm_content and that we should use utm_term=keyword1 instead to build a cookie pool.  Our paid search consultant is saying that they're building a custom audience in Google Analytics and then pulling that GA audience into Adwords for a retargeting campaign.  And he's saying that Google Analytics Custom Audiences only support utm_source, utm_campaign, and utm_term.  Is that correct?

Can anyone please help clarify this for me?

Can a cookie pool be built using utm_content?

Can a cookie pool be built using any specific google url paramters: utm_medium, utm_source, utm_campaign, utm_content, utm_term?

Thanks,

Dani

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author
June 2016

Re: can retargeting cookie pool be based on utm_content?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Dani,

Targeting through utm parameters is possible only through Google Analytics. In Analytics, below are the steps

1.Sign in to your Google Analytics account.
2.Select the Admin tab and navigate to the account and property in which you want to create the audience.
3.In the Property column, click Audience Definitions, then click Audiences.
4.Click + New Audience.

5.Select the view and adwords account
6.click on next
7.Select " all users" or the audience you want to target
8.Click on the pencil Icon on the top right
9. Under traffic sources, you can fill the campaign name, source medium etc

I have attached the screenshots for the same.

I hope this will help you.
Thanks,
Anand

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author
June 2016

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Dani,

Targeting through utm parameters is possible only through Google Analytics. In Analytics, below are the steps

1.Sign in to your Google Analytics account.
2.Select the Admin tab and navigate to the account and property in which you want to create the audience.
3.In the Property column, click Audience Definitions, then click Audiences.
4.Click + New Audience.

5.Select the view and adwords account
6.click on next
7.Select " all users" or the audience you want to target
8.Click on the pencil Icon on the top right
9. Under traffic sources, you can fill the campaign name, source medium etc

I have attached the screenshots for the same.

I hope this will help you.
Thanks,
Anand

Not applicable
# 3
Not applicable
Thanks. As your screenshot shows, the GA Audience can only be defined with utm_medium, utm_source, utm_campaign, and utm_term. For whatever reason, Google decided that utm_content shouldn't be part of defining an audience in GA.