AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

can i use dki with multiple urls

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi.  Can we use dynamic keyword insertion and multiple destination url's?  I assume yes, but have never tested it and we are basing a whole campaign on the assumption that it does work.  For example:

Keywords:           Landing Page

shoes                  www.shoestore.com/shoes.html

red shoes             www.shoestore.com/redshoes.html

blue shoes           www.shoestore.com/blueshoes.html

In the ad:

Headline:             Text1:                        Text2:                    DisplayURL

The Shoe Store     {KeyWord:All Shoes}   Shoes 20% Off      www.ShoeStore.com

So when a user searches for "blue shoes" the search ad will show as

The Shoe Store

Blue Shoes

Shoes 20% Off

www.ShoeStore.com

The underlying URL would then land on www.shoestore.com/blueshoes.html.  I think this will work, but again, we are about to embark on a lot of work without having tested this scenario.  #1: never used DKI, #2: don't know if DKI works with multiple landing pages; ie a different landing page for each keyword. 

many thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: can i use dki with multiple urls

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Hi kicker,

You can use DKI to dynamically alter your ad text, your display url and your destination url.

You can add the keyword insertion code with any component of your text ad: headline, description lines, display URL, or destination URL. And, you can use the keyword insertion code multiple times within an ad and across several ads at once. (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454041)

So changing the page of your Ad's destination URL depending on the keyword is possible.

However:

Also, there might be some good alternatives to consider:

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author kicker521
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Rahul G,

I think you're getting some bad info here.

In direct answer to your question, use DKI or not, the keyword level destination URL over-rides the ad destination URL. So, yes, the user will be taken to the landing page associated with the keyword that triggered the ad.

And, I will confirm, you can use Value Track in the destination URL to achieve similar results as DKI.

Now I will caution, DKI is hard and you may get results you did not expect. I am tempted to recommend you separate your keywords by ad groups for shoes, red shoes, and blue shoes. Write your ads specifically for those groups, and forget about DKI.

Just my 2 cents.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello there,

In the scenario you mentioned you have used DKI in your description line 1 it will change your description line1 according to keyword which triggered your ad. but it will not change the destination URl of your ad i.e. after clicking on your ad user will land on the page you have entered in destination URl while creating the Ad copy.
so if you have entered http://www.shoestore.com/blueshoes.html as destination URl only then user will land to this page.

regards,
Rahul Goel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rahul. You can enter a different URL for each keyword or keyword phrase. My question is if I am inserting what the user is searching for, wherever the insertion is (in the headline, text1, text2, or displayURL) will the user be taken to the landing page specified for that keyword? e.g. user enters the search phrase "blue shoes", blue shoes is dynamically inserted, in my example, into the description line1, will the user be taken to the landing page associated with the keyword phrase "blue shoes"?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Hi kicker,

You can use DKI to dynamically alter your ad text, your display url and your destination url.

You can add the keyword insertion code with any component of your text ad: headline, description lines, display URL, or destination URL. And, you can use the keyword insertion code multiple times within an ad and across several ads at once. (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454041)

So changing the page of your Ad's destination URL depending on the keyword is possible.

However:

Also, there might be some good alternatives to consider:

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply. In adwords, you can associate different URLs with different keywords. So given that, can i use DKI insertion and direct the user to the URL associated with the keyword the user enters? Refer to my reply to Rahul above. thanks

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
Only when you use DKI code in the destination URL as well, like my example above: www.shoestore.com/{keyword:default}.html

You can of course also use the DKI code in headline, text or display URL, but that will only change the appearance of the ad, not the destination url

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@kicker521 wrote:
Hi Rahul. You can enter a different URL for each keyword or keyword phrase. My question is if I am inserting what the user is searching for, wherever the insertion is (in the headline, text1, text2, or displayURL) will the user be taken to the landing page specified for that keyword? e.g. user enters the search phrase "blue shoes", blue shoes is dynamically inserted, in my example, into the description line1, will the user be taken to the landing page associated with the keyword phrase "blue shoes"?

Hello there,

will the user be taken to the landing page specified for that keyword?
Yes user will land to the page associated with the keyword triggered your ad. keyword specific destination URl will override the ad destination URl.

e.g. user enters the search phrase "blue shoes", blue shoes is dynamically inserted, in my example, into the description line1, will the user be taken to the landing page associated with the keyword phrase "blue shoes"?
just want to mention the keyword in your ad group which triggered your ad will be inserted not the user search query.

regards,
Rahul Goel

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author kicker521
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Rahul G,

I think you're getting some bad info here.

In direct answer to your question, use DKI or not, the keyword level destination URL over-rides the ad destination URL. So, yes, the user will be taken to the landing page associated with the keyword that triggered the ad.

And, I will confirm, you can use Value Track in the destination URL to achieve similar results as DKI.

Now I will caution, DKI is hard and you may get results you did not expect. I am tempted to recommend you separate your keywords by ad groups for shoes, red shoes, and blue shoes. Write your ads specifically for those groups, and forget about DKI.

Just my 2 cents.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Pete,

I appreciate that! I was trying to reply kicker521 Quoted now.

regards,
Rahul Goel