AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

can conversion code work for multiple accounts?

[ Edited ]
NR
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
NR
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The situation:
My client and I want to find out details about what we believe are fraudulent adwords services.

• I have an adwords account with lots of paused (none running) campaigns
  • adwords management was passed to another company
  • they have ads sending users to the same site

• I had conversion code on our landing page (which never worked anyway, maybe I set it up wrong). Keep in mind all the ads that were running under my account (where I got the conversion code from) have been paused and are no longer running.

The point in question
I want to ask find out if the new company managing the adwords are tracking conversions -  I dont think they are, because they sent us an admin screenshot with all the columns on the right (where the conversion data is) cut out.

The new company did not give us conversion code to place on the landing page, but the conversion code for my account remained there until yesterday (I deleted it). Could conversion tracking have been working in their adwords accounts via the conversion code from my account?

Thank you very much in advance,

NR.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Hi NR,   The conversion code will be different for the ne...

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi NR,

The conversion code will be different for the new account. If the company does not have the ability to edit your site and has not provided you with the new code to place on your site, the conversions are not being tracked. I would challenge the company who is running the campaign as to why they are neither tracking nor reporting conversion data. That data is the most important part of your advertising campaign. If all they are doing is sending you traffic that buys nothing, they are not helping you.

I wouldn't be concerned about Panjak's warning about the double-serving policy. That policy states you can not have two accounts for the same business and the same web site. In your case, the account is being managed by a third party and you have paused campaigns in your account. That's not a violation. AdWords will show only one ad per account and only one ad per display domain on a single page of SERPs.

The conversion code should not be on you landing page. That would count every visitor as a conversion. I'm fairly certain that's not what you had in mind. The code should go on the "thank you page"-the page you show the visitor after completing the desired conversion action.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Hello NR,   First thing I want to ask you is whether you...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello NR,

First thing I want to ask you is whether you have the access to the Adwords account which that 3rd party Company is running on behalf of your client? Or is it that the account which you had, the Company has created new campaigns inside that account only?

Please note that multiple accounts for the same business are not permitted by Adwords.

Coming to Conversion Tracking Code, you can always verify that code by logging into the Adwords account, then moving to Tools and Analysis>> Conversions. From here you can choose the appropriate action and select the code to verify it.

I would say that it's your client's right to ask that Company for all the details, account info, reporting part and where actually they have included the Conversion Tracking code (if any). Get in touch with that Company to ask for all this so that there is a tranparency in what they are doing and what you guys are actually looking for.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Hi NR,   The conversion code will be different for the ne...

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi NR,

The conversion code will be different for the new account. If the company does not have the ability to edit your site and has not provided you with the new code to place on your site, the conversions are not being tracked. I would challenge the company who is running the campaign as to why they are neither tracking nor reporting conversion data. That data is the most important part of your advertising campaign. If all they are doing is sending you traffic that buys nothing, they are not helping you.

I wouldn't be concerned about Panjak's warning about the double-serving policy. That policy states you can not have two accounts for the same business and the same web site. In your case, the account is being managed by a third party and you have paused campaigns in your account. That's not a violation. AdWords will show only one ad per account and only one ad per display domain on a single page of SERPs.

The conversion code should not be on you landing page. That would count every visitor as a conversion. I'm fairly certain that's not what you had in mind. The code should go on the "thank you page"-the page you show the visitor after completing the desired conversion action.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Thank you petebardo for your excellent reply

[ Edited ]
NR
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
NR
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you petebardo for your excellent reply.

You said - "The conversion code will be different for the new account. If the company does not have the ability to edit your site and has not provided you with the new code to place on your site, the conversions are not being tracked. I would challenge the company who is running the campaign as to why they are neither tracking nor reporting conversion data. That data is the most important part of your advertising campaign. If all they are doing is sending you traffic that buys nothing, they are not helping you."

> Yes, this was the point in question.

• I am the sole webmaster for client A, and the only one who can change conversion page code
  • My account with the paused campaigns for client A, and the new company's account for client A are separate adwords accounts (they do not have access to my account or paused campaigns.)
  • Just in case, I recorded the conversion code on the website (now removed, with nothing there now) and compared it to the conversion code in my account - it was the same. (quite lucky because we've been with this new company for 6 months and I suspected I might have added their code and forgotten, but refreshingly this never occured)
  • Just to reclarify in so far as its possible, may I ask if you've actually seen a case where conversion code from one adwords account didn't work for tracking conversions for ads from another account? Or is your opinion of what should happen based on adwords policy as it should operate?
    I'm just trying to be completely sure that they haven't been tracking because I am planning to (very politely) call their management (its a large company with many services here in Australia) and inform their bosses that their adwords managers have spent a large sum of client A's money without any conversion tracking.

You said - "The conversion code should not be on you landing page. That would count every visitor as a conversion. I'm fairly certain that's not what you had in mind. The code should go on the "thank you page"-the page you show the visitor after completing the desired conversion action."

> Yes, this is correct. I had (its now removed) put the conversion code from my account on the thank you page (after the user had completed had completed their purchase)

Thank you very much for your help, it has been invaluable. I will pursue this and make sure these managers are brought to justice.

Regards,

NR

Thank you pankaj1782, I have used your advice and compare...

NR
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
NR
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you pankaj1782, I have used your advice and compared the conversion code that was on my website to that in my adwords account under Tools and Analysis > Conversions. A very helpful tip.

Thank you,

NR.

Conversion Code IS unique

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi NR,

I believe the question is whether or not conversion code is unique to an account.  The answer is yes.  Within the conversion code is an identifier that links the conversion code to your account.  

As you mentioned, you, being the only webmaster for the site, have not installed any conversion code for the new management company (new Adwords account), therefore they could not be tracking conversions, assuming conversions are more than clicks.

From this Help Article:

"Conversion ID: This number is unique to your AdWords account. This is how we know what AdWords account the conversion is for."

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

"I will pursue this and make sure these managers are brou...

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

"I will pursue this and make sure these managers are brought to justice." Not to disagree with holding potentially unscrupulous individuals to account - Is it possible the new company is relying on analytics data? If the adwords conversion code never worked right anyway, could they be aware of that, and be relying on analytics data instead?

Just as a matter of perspective, we have been on the other end of this spectrum. If the mandate is to "increase conversions through PPC channels", but you mange based on ecommerce, if the conversion code is not an accurate reflection of actual sales, then "increasing (adwords conversion code) conversions", may actuall drastically reduce sales and profits. Of course, if there is no analytics that they would have access to, then there doesn't seem to be much of an excuse for ignoring the actual goal of the client.

Tom

Hi NR,   My statement about the conversion code being uni...

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi NR,

My statement about the conversion code being unique to your account is based on Google documentation, with a bit of IT experience mixed in.  Have I seen the case? No, I don't think that's necessary. If the id weren't unique to an account, why bother with assigning it? That's my basic logic here. And, some sites drive traffic from more than one AdWords account (aka, affiliate advertising). In that case, the site needs to know which account the conversions came from. You can have conversion codes from more than one account on a single page and the conversion will be attributed to the correct account.

When you do place the conversion code on the proper page, have your shopping cart software fill in the actual sale value, if possible. That will give you better ROI data on your conversions.

I think I would ask a lot of questions about what they are doing and why. Tom had some interesting views on this, too.

Best of Luck!

Pete