AdWords
7.1K members online now
7.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

can Site links' desination urls contain campaignid?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Our customers use a sitelink extension with serveral campaigns.http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375416

And we have our conversion tracking system using destion urls.So I need to collect  conversions of every campaign.can we insert some campaign information into the sitelink url,campaignId is better.I know there is a valuetrack parameters.can i use it with  {copy:[campaignId]},or is there any better solution?

Thanks.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: can Site links' desination urls contain campaignid?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello.

{copy:[name]}, as a valuetrack variable, copies the name and value of that variable from the keyword level URL (http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375447).

If you go through the variables listed there you'll see that there's no campaign ID. What you can use though, is the Ad Id, which is unique per ad. And that ad can only be present in one ad group, and one campaign, so by combining these info you can also find the ad group and campaign names. Not the campaign id though, I don't think there's such an attribute in AdWords, unlike in other advertising solutions.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Where is the ad id Calin?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

The Ads tab, Columns - Customize columns - (Select metrics) Attributes - Id.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
You can also manually tag the sitelink destination url with a &campaign='name' parameter

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

True, the only issue being that campaign names can change sometimes (I sometimes do it), and that would mean going through sitelinks and updating them as well. The Ad Id, thankfully, stays the same, and when cross-referenced with a fresh ad report it can indicate the actual names of the ad group and campaign it sits in.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
good point there Calin. If people rename their campaigns then the results would not match up.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Top Contributor Alumni
# 8
Top Contributor Alumni

Your post caught my attention, Calin.   Why would you change a campaign's name?  (Just curious.)

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
In my case the three reasons were:
- grouping campaigns (I wanted to see them one under the other)
- naming convention idea that struck me while campaigns were running
- campaign testing (control + experiment)

Weird, maybe, but in my case it happened.

Ah, fourth reason: late notice of typo.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner

First of all, I believe Kim's post about tracking sitelinks is without a doubt the best article on the topic I have ever read. It is written in such a comprehensible manner, not only did I learn about tagging sitelinks, but I also learned pretty much all I know (which ain't much) about manually tagging URL's from that post. Definitely a double plus article, thanks so much for your work there Kim! Smiley Happy

Because I usually drill down to the campaign level before I start viewing the sitelink data, I don't usually include the campaign name. BUT, includeing the ad ID would add another dimension to the data that I am currently neglecting. Good point there Calin!

I know changing a campaign's name can create issues over the long term with analytics data reporting especially, but I often change a campaigns name for some of the same reasons. Smiley Happy 

Tom