AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

can I create a retargeting pixel without creating an ad?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I  start the process in google adwords to copy and paste a retracking code on my website and do nothing else what will happen?

Will I get any data from it?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John R
September 2015

Re: can I create a retargeting pixel without creating an ad?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi there,

There are two steps here: Tracking users and remarketing ads to them.

Just pasting the remarketing code would track users in the list. Creating a campaign (including ads) and targeting the list would serve your ads to past site visitors which is the end objective of remarketing.

So to answer your primary question - Yes, you'll get data (site visitors) from it.

Feel free to write back!
Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John R
September 2015

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi there,

There are two steps here: Tracking users and remarketing ads to them.

Just pasting the remarketing code would track users in the list. Creating a campaign (including ads) and targeting the list would serve your ads to past site visitors which is the end objective of remarketing.

So to answer your primary question - Yes, you'll get data (site visitors) from it.

Feel free to write back!
Sumanth Sridhar

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Sumanth,

I have a further question - I the remarketing code is put on our pages and no retargeting lists / ads where created then after a period of time we created ads and list would the previous data captured be targeted?

So the ultimately we want to know is creating a tracking code with out creating marketing lists / ads good practise or does the code only function best when the targeting and ads are created