AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

best way to approach a kids birthday magician campaign

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

hi

I've picked up some personal client work and wanted to know how best to approach this ad campaign.

Obviously it's geotargeted to a small area in which the magician is able to travel to. I had a look at the keyword tool, and noticed that it had lots of low volume queries 100 a month tops. Hmm doesn't look promising. But It does have a LOT of different deriviates of the keywords containg both magician and birthday.

What's the best approach do you think, should I just use a broad match modifier and just see what the net catches and just ban the irrelivant searches that come through like those containing "how to become", "videos of" etc. [n.b. haven't actually started this campaign so I'm giving some vague examples]

Normally I would just use phrase match from the outset because the volumes I work with are far higher.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: best way to approach a kids birthday magician campaign

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey morecaffeine,

I like to start with very targeted keywords, as account history (the overall CTR of all the ads and keywords in your account) plays a role in calculating quality score.

Therefore starting small and building out helps. if there is a Low Search Volume message on all keywords, try broadening them a bit by only adding '+' to one or two keywords in the query and if this deosnt work, eventually change it to broad match.

I suggest using the keyword tool to find negative keywords as well. When looking for positive, make note of any negatives you can add right from the start, that way it will be easier on you when the campaign is running. 

Thanks,

BI

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey morecaffeine,

I like to start with very targeted keywords, as account history (the overall CTR of all the ads and keywords in your account) plays a role in calculating quality score.

Therefore starting small and building out helps. if there is a Low Search Volume message on all keywords, try broadening them a bit by only adding '+' to one or two keywords in the query and if this deosnt work, eventually change it to broad match.

I suggest using the keyword tool to find negative keywords as well. When looking for positive, make note of any negatives you can add right from the start, that way it will be easier on you when the campaign is running. 

Thanks,

BI

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi morecaffeine;

Check a similar discussion from today: 

Geographic targeting

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello.

If the website does have some history, if it has Google Analytics installed (if it doesn't, please do install it two years ago Smiley Happy ), and if conversion tracking is enabled, you can look at which keywords already converted, and start from there. I always mine a website for already proven keywords, and it's working great. Of course, Google's (not provided) move makes things more difficult, but we still get to see some keywords and also some queries in the Webmaster Tools.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.