AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

avg. pos.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

what is avg pos?

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: avg. pos.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Pradip,

Welcome to the community!

Average position is a statistic that describes how your ad typically ranks against other ads.

Find more information in the link below.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/14075?hl=en

Deepak

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Info has given the Dr. Jekyll answer....

The Mr. Hyde answer (never more appropriate) is that- like all averages - it can hide a wealth of information.

for example, you may well think that your ad in position 5 is doing well, but in fact it may have positions that are in the top 3 as well as plenty that are further down the page in positions 9 and 10.

some more things to consider - if the searcher doesn't click through to page 2 of the results you ad, which was, perhaps scheduled to appear in position 18, doesn't appear - sop the position 18 it would have had doesn't get computed in the average position.

Instead it gets indirectly computed in the impression share data. Think about this - you ad could always appear for your keywords.... but in most cases (because people tend to refine their search query before moving through to page 2 of the results) when it doesn't appear it's because your bid wasn't high enough to get your ad on the first page.

This is why testing your bids and monitoring both your average position and your impression share is so important.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Pradip,

Welcome to the community!

Average position is a statistic that describes how your ad typically ranks against other ads.

Find more information in the link below.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/14075?hl=en

Deepak
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Info has given the Dr. Jekyll answer....

The Mr. Hyde answer (never more appropriate) is that- like all averages - it can hide a wealth of information.

for example, you may well think that your ad in position 5 is doing well, but in fact it may have positions that are in the top 3 as well as plenty that are further down the page in positions 9 and 10.

some more things to consider - if the searcher doesn't click through to page 2 of the results you ad, which was, perhaps scheduled to appear in position 18, doesn't appear - sop the position 18 it would have had doesn't get computed in the average position.

Instead it gets indirectly computed in the impression share data. Think about this - you ad could always appear for your keywords.... but in most cases (because people tend to refine their search query before moving through to page 2 of the results) when it doesn't appear it's because your bid wasn't high enough to get your ad on the first page.

This is why testing your bids and monitoring both your average position and your impression share is so important.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Steve,

Now please explain

What is 'click through'

What is 'impression share' Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
We could be here all day ;-)

have a nice weekend!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

on topic : I would add here that the metric Average CPC found in the Adwords reports is refering to positions of ads when they received impressions. A more useful metric would be Average Position of Ads when they received clicks, and that can be found in Google Analytics in the Keywords positions report .

off topic : To explain Info's reaction , it is like @Moshe earlier wrote to me "Do not try to educate / teach the users. You are diverting discussions to the wrong places, confusing the users" . That is why I opened a thread about setting some rules that all people who try to contribute can follow, so we all get along without friction. I would love if those rules could apply to all not to me only as I noticed.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
This one is completely off topic

Hi Adrian,

Please don't spend your time explaining my reactions. I know you have a disagreement with Moshe, but please don't drag it everywhere with you.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

There could be a simple solution to that had Google reported the standard deviation ...But for now, it's a wishful thinking...Smiley Frustrated

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’