AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

adwords for video automated rules at MCC level

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

Can anyone confirm for me that Automated Rules do not work on accounts running Adwords for Video? I'm running an MCC, wanted to pause all accounts when they reached certain budget, yet nothing worked on any of my AFV accounts (but did on my straight Adwords accounts). I can't find any documentation around it and it certainly wasn't clear when I set up the rules. Any help hugely appreciated Smiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by John Paul (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: adwords for video automated rules at MCC level

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi enelesse, to the best of my knowledge, neither Automated Rules nor AdWords Scripts can currently "see" AFV Campaigns so I don't think there's any automation solution.

However, you ought to be able to use a bulk action to Pause within the UI.  If you're pausing all your Campaigns simply check the box at the top of the list and then choose "Change Status".  If you only want to pause some, you may need to use custom column displays and sort types but it should still be easier than pausing one by one manually.

Can I ask what the intent is here?  It seems a little odd to pause over 300 Campaigns at the same time on a regular basis (though I'm sure there's a good reason, there may be another solution).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

HI Enelesse,

Thank you for posting on our Community forum. Regarding your question asking if Automated Rules works for MCC accounts running AdWords for Video, if your Adwords for Video ads are running on the Google Display Network you should be able to run automated rules.

Please answer the following questions about the issue you are experiencing:

• Can you please verify that you are checking your Automated Rules from your MCC and not the individual accounts? [You may want to browse to the main MCC page (My Client Center Link -Top Left) and check your rules and logs there too. ]

• Did you receive any error messages after setting up your automated rules for your AdWords for Video accounts? If so, please check to see if they match any of the errors (i.e.

My rule ran but didn't make any changes) on Fix Automated Rules help page here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497856?hl=en&ref_topic=3122862

• Can you post a screen shot showing the Automatic rules you set up? (Reminder: please don't include any account or other personal information in the screenshot).  

Once I've received more detailed answers from the questions I posted here, I should be able to give you a more accurate suggestion on how to resolve your issue. Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey JP,
Thanks so much for offering your help! My AFV ads are not running on the display network, only on YouTube.
I set up the Automated Rules from the MCC, not the individual account, and there were no error messages - it made 2 changes to my Display Adwords accounts, but effected zero change across the rest (nearly 300 AFV/YouTube accounts). You can see the basic gist of my rule here:

Screen Shot 2014-02-07 at 9.27.19 am.png

I basically want to freeze all accounts in an instant, without having to go into each account, each campaign and pause them all individually. With 300, you can imagine, it's laborious!

Any insight/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Hi Enelesse,

Thank you for getting back to me with the answers to the questions I posted. I'm stilling looking into this issue. I'll get back to you with an update within the next business day. Thanks for your patience.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by John Paul (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi enelesse, to the best of my knowledge, neither Automated Rules nor AdWords Scripts can currently "see" AFV Campaigns so I don't think there's any automation solution.

However, you ought to be able to use a bulk action to Pause within the UI.  If you're pausing all your Campaigns simply check the box at the top of the list and then choose "Change Status".  If you only want to pause some, you may need to use custom column displays and sort types but it should still be easier than pausing one by one manually.

Can I ask what the intent is here?  It seems a little odd to pause over 300 Campaigns at the same time on a regular basis (though I'm sure there's a good reason, there may be another solution).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon,
Thanks so much, that at least confirms I'm not going crazy Smiley Happy
We have a pretty unique set up where we are running 300 separate accounts and campaigns under each, almost entirely for AFV. Where we have multiple campaigns running under the accounts, I'm aware of the bulk "change status" action, but I really wanted to be able to pause all campaigns under all accounts in a single go. I certainly don't intend on freezing them on a regular basis, but I did want to be able to "turn them off" for the rest of February while we move around marketing budget etc etc. As it is, I've gone into each account manually to freeze them. (Fun times, eh?).

Thanks again for confirming the automation issue. Much appreciated!