AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

adwords editor - wrong ad schedule

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I changed the ad scheduling for one of my campaigns on adwords.google.com. I then opened Adwords Editor to find there was an update. So Ibacked up, updated, downloaded all campaigns, restored my data backup. The ad schedule was not reflecting the change in adwords editor. So I downloaded all campaigns again, again no change. I modified the ad schedule slightly, downloaded again, no change. I modified the ad schedule of another campaign, downloaded, no change.

How can I get them to update? I have several campaigns, and I need to copy and paste the ad schedule from one campaign to all the others, as I did in the past.

Additionally, my language targeting keeps giving an error in Adwords on one campaign. It has English selected but says it's invalid. I select English again, upload, and it gives the error again.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: adwords editor - wrong ad schedule

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Do you, by any chance, have a local edit on the campaign in question? Is there a delta sign (a triangle) in the leftmost column? If so, simply revert the edit.

My guess is, this is what happened. At the beginning, Editor thinks the campaign has ad schedule A. You have changed it to B in the web interface, but you haven't synchronized the changes with Editor yet, so it still shows A. When you backed up the account, what got saved in the backup file was still A.

Then, you upgraded to a new Editor version. and downloaded all campaigns. At this point, of course, Editor sees ad schedule B, because that's what exists on the server.

You then imported the backup. When you import a backup file, you tell Editor "make whatever edits are necessary to bring my account back to the state it was in when the backup was taken". So Editor happily generated a local edit that changed the ad schedule from B back to A.

Re: adwords editor - wrong ad schedule

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
About the second problem - does it affect a shopping campaign, by any chance? There are limitations on how such campaigns can be modified. In particular, they do not support language targeting (the language is determined by the merchant account associated with such a campaign, I believe, but am not 100% sure), as well as advanced geo targeting (both Targeting Method and Exclusion Method settings must be set to their "recommended" values).