AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

4.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi does any one no how to add the the extra part after my web address .eg wanting to add scrap cars after tyneautos.co.uk on my advert so would read tyneautos.co.uk/scrapcar .when i am trying to ad the scrap car part it is saying not a valid web address dont no a lot about computers so any advice would be helpfull. also have two ads with same keywords but have one set at all devices and one set at just mobile devices is this a good thing to do are should i just have one ad set at all devices .any advice on making adwords work better for me would be verry helpfull as only small buisness and trying to do this myself and am not verry well educated on computers .can fix cars no bother lol 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Hi xxkenzxx,   There are 2 addresses you'll need to enter...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi xxkenzxx,

There are 2 addresses you'll need to enter when creating a text ad: the display URL and the Destination URL.

The Destination URL must be a reachable page. You would only see this message if you entered that URL into the Destination URL.

The Display URL must show the same domain (or top level domain), but it is not required to be a reachable page. It is ok to leave out any sub-domains. If your domain is www.example.com, example.com is find for the Display URL.

In your case, it appears you want to do this:

Destination URL:  tyneautos.co.uk

Display URL: tyneautos.co.uk/scrapcar

You can use a certain amount of capitalization in the Display URL as well, so you might want:

Display URL: tyneautos.co.uk/ScrapCar

The same excess capitalization rules apply to the Display URL as the rest of your ad.

If youa re directing traffic all to the same page, and I'm guessing that would be your home page, there's no real reason to split campaigns. Well, that might not be exactly true. Let's say traffic from desktop computers converts at 8% (that's just a number for this example, not intended to be good or bad) and traffic from mobile devices converts at 12%. A 50% in conversions for mobile devices would indicate the you could place a higher bid for mobile devices than for desktops.

I will say this, unequivocally, you should not have two campaigns with the same keywords both targeting mobile devices. If you want to keep the split (so you can analyse the difference in response), remove mobile devices from the desktop campaign.

In each of your AdGroups, come up with at least 2 versions of your ad and run them at the same time. Give it some time to get some data, then if you have a clear winner, pause or delete the underperforming ad and create a new one to try to beat the performance of the winner.

Other than that, my best advice for you in getting started is learn as much as you possibly can about the system before starting your campaign. Just as you need to tune your car to get the best possible performance, your AdWords account and campaigns will need some tuning to make them run right. Then, I always suggest you start out slowly. Do not commit more to your AdWords budget than you can afford to lose (yes, all of it without one sale). Never bid more than you are willing to pay for a business prospect.

It takes a bit of work and attention to get your campaign going. If you can afford it, see if you can find a consultant to help set up your account and get things running smoothly before you take over management. You might look at this page at least 2 of them are in UK.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Hi xxkenzxx,   There are 2 addresses you'll need to enter...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi xxkenzxx,

There are 2 addresses you'll need to enter when creating a text ad: the display URL and the Destination URL.

The Destination URL must be a reachable page. You would only see this message if you entered that URL into the Destination URL.

The Display URL must show the same domain (or top level domain), but it is not required to be a reachable page. It is ok to leave out any sub-domains. If your domain is www.example.com, example.com is find for the Display URL.

In your case, it appears you want to do this:

Destination URL:  tyneautos.co.uk

Display URL: tyneautos.co.uk/scrapcar

You can use a certain amount of capitalization in the Display URL as well, so you might want:

Display URL: tyneautos.co.uk/ScrapCar

The same excess capitalization rules apply to the Display URL as the rest of your ad.

If youa re directing traffic all to the same page, and I'm guessing that would be your home page, there's no real reason to split campaigns. Well, that might not be exactly true. Let's say traffic from desktop computers converts at 8% (that's just a number for this example, not intended to be good or bad) and traffic from mobile devices converts at 12%. A 50% in conversions for mobile devices would indicate the you could place a higher bid for mobile devices than for desktops.

I will say this, unequivocally, you should not have two campaigns with the same keywords both targeting mobile devices. If you want to keep the split (so you can analyse the difference in response), remove mobile devices from the desktop campaign.

In each of your AdGroups, come up with at least 2 versions of your ad and run them at the same time. Give it some time to get some data, then if you have a clear winner, pause or delete the underperforming ad and create a new one to try to beat the performance of the winner.

Other than that, my best advice for you in getting started is learn as much as you possibly can about the system before starting your campaign. Just as you need to tune your car to get the best possible performance, your AdWords account and campaigns will need some tuning to make them run right. Then, I always suggest you start out slowly. Do not commit more to your AdWords budget than you can afford to lose (yes, all of it without one sale). Never bid more than you are willing to pay for a business prospect.

It takes a bit of work and attention to get your campaign going. If you can afford it, see if you can find a consultant to help set up your account and get things running smoothly before you take over management. You might look at this page at least 2 of them are in UK.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

You are talking about the display url, not the destinatio...

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

You are talking about the display url, not the destination url correct?

If the display URL was www.tyneautos.co.uk/ then tyneautos.co/scrapcar should work...

Unless there is a destination URL conflict within the adgroup, perhaps? If the ads destination URL is not http://www.tyneautos.co.uk/, or if a keyword in the adgroup has a different destination URL, you could get a "one destination URL per adgroup" error message.

Make sure something wasn't mis-spelled, or something along those lines.

"have two ads with same keywords..." Do you mean, two adgroups with the same keywords?

"one set at all devices and one set at just mobile devices" Device targeting is only available at the campaign level. So do you have two campaigns, with an adgroup on each that has the same keyword(s)? If so, then yes, segmenting campaigns by device is a good thing. Smiley Happy

I would assume you have mitchell on demand or the like in the shop there? AdWords is a program just like mitchell or any other computer program that just takes time to learn. Smiley Happy You may want to take a look at the Learn With Google site, browse through the help center, and/or check out the adwords wiki articles

Tom

Re: Hi xxkenzxx,   There are 2 addresses you'll need to enter...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thank you for your advice .think i will look for a consultant to check my ads over. ..makes it easier for me when you can get help off people like yourself thanks paul

Re: You are talking about the display url, not the destinatio...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks for your advice .