AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

ad preview tool issue?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

We're advertising certain brands that have restrictions on which countries we can advertise in. So we have set our target country and have added 1 country as a restriction

We have been using the ad preview tool to check our ads to make sure that we do not show up in these countries and so far on desktop and tablet we do not appear in ad preview but for mobile searches we do appear.

I then ran the diagnostics tool in adwords which came back as restricted for all of our keywords in that country.

Am I missing something or is this a bug?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: ad preview tool issue?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

Firstly, you cannot exclude something which are actually not targeting. You can exclude areas from within large area which you are targeting. For example if you target US, you can exclude New York, New Jersey etc... because these regions are within US. The exception to this is that if the user is searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location and you are not using advanced location targeting settings to filter those segment of users, then the outside area users might see your ad. Read more about advanced location options here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en

Also it is important to note here that since we don't have specific device level targeting option available for search campaigns, which used to be in the past, there is  a possibility that your ad meant for mobile users might show up to the desktop users. So you need to make sure that you are bidding as low as possible and then using Bid adjustment for Mobile devices as 300% for your Mobile specific campaign.

I hope this helps somewhere!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I already understand how location targeting works! I added the exclusion because we had set the targeting to people in the specific country only yet using Ad Preview we are showing in a totally different country but only when selecting mobile as the option in ad preview.

i simply need confirmation that this is a bug in ad preview

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Are your ads only showing in the excluded country by using ad preview tool? OR are they showing also in the live search in the excluded country without using ad preview tool ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
as far as i can tell it's only in preview and only when selecting mobile as the device. I cannot do a live a search as i am not in that country.

I'm pretty confident it's a bug with the preview tool because of the results of teh diagnostics tool directly in the campaign

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Ahaa, I think in that case you have to report Google, they'd love to hear from you Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I will do, it would be good if someone else could confirm it for me though :-)

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi Nigel,

If the Ad Preview tool is telling you that your ad is showing up in the restricted countries on Mobile then I am sure for some reason it is true.

I have never come across an instance where the Ad Preview Tool has been wrong. To ensure that your ads don't show up anymore in these countries try changing your targeting to "People in My Targeted Location Only", this will ensure that your ads are shown only to users in your targeted locations.

Other than this, if you still want to confirm the locations where your ads are showing up, why don't you you just a pull a Geographic report from the Dimensions tab and check if you have had any impressions or clicks recorded in those locations.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Shashank, that's exactly my point, i have changed teh campaign settings already to target people in location only.

i think there may be an issue with the AdPreview tool on mobile detecting my IP as being in the UK and showing me UK results.

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star
Hi Nigel,

Are you sure your had selected the right locations when you were checking for your ads on the Ad Preview tool? It is a common mistake to not change the location you wish to look for your ad on the preview tool when carrying out this exercise.

Nevertheless, now that you have changed the targeting settings, lets see if things change for you.

Cheers,

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"