AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.3K members online now
1.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

ad position for remarketing ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can anyone help me understand what the "average ad position" means in terms of REMARKETING ads?  I understand what it menas in terms of customers seeing regular ads, but when it says, for example, that a remarketing ad has an average position of 1.4 - what does that mean?  Don't they get served up to people on our remarketing lists based on the criteria in the lists?  so how is an average position determined?  Is it in comparison to other company ads? Your own? I'm confused. Thanks for any clarification.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: ad position for remarketing ads

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi
It is the average of the position of all the impressions received by your
ad on the display network placements where your ad appeared.

I hope this helps!

Abhishek

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Jeff D,

Advertisers using AdSense and potentially other methods of displaying google ads on their site, set up actual blocks for ads. Within these blocks, a number of possibilities could occur.

The first thing to understand is that both text and display (image/multimedia) ads can be entered into the auctions to appear on a publishers website.

If a display ad wins the auction, only that ad will appear as it will likely match the exact size of the ad block and obviously only 1 ad appears so position will be #1.

Now, if text ads win the auction, a number of ads could appear in that same ad block, thus allowing for positions less than 1...you could land your ad in position 2 or 3 in this case.

It's slightly different on the Display Network than on the Search Network but the premise is the same and ultimately what Abhishek alluded to. It's the average position that your ads appeared.

If you drill down into your display campaigns and into the ads tab, you should be able to see this more clearly.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to assist to this interesting discussion with some additions :

1) If you bid by CPM, your avg. pos. will always be 1 ( i cannot explain why, probably because of higher visibility)

2) If the publisher has this Ad Unit Large skyscraper (300 x 600) , even 7 text ads can fit in it at the same time. An example can be seen here ( expand Other-vertical and scroll down a lot to Large skyscraper )

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/185665?hl=en

This is why you could see even an avg. pos between 3 and 7 in Display.

3) Some relevant text ads can fill a large space where otherwise 3 ad texts would have been : link

"There can sometimes be cases where our system determines that one or two specific text ads are significantly higher-performing than the other eligible text ads, and that showing them separately would result in higher performance than if the ads were shown together with lower-performing ones. When this occurs, we’ll show them alone, and this means you’ll see less than the full number of text ads in the ad unit."