AdWords
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

ad character length

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

why am I limited to the number of characters on my add while other ads are much longer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author woodrowL
September 2015

Re: ad character length

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

This is an example of Google adding the first description line to the headline. If you count only the headline, it is no more than 25 characters, and everything after the hyphen is less than 35 characters as well as the last line of copy.

You can accomplish this by adding a period at the end of your first description line.

For example:

CDL Truck Driving Classes

Courses Run Only 3 to 4 Weeks. (PERIOD) 

Tuition Assitance in Qualified!

www.abc.com

Could turn into:

CDL Truck Driving Classes - Courses Run Only 3 to 4 Weeks

www.abc.com

Lastly, all three ads are using Ad Extensions, which add additional snippets of informations such as phone numbers, site links, social stats, location, etc.

Thanks,

BI

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Could you please more specific? Any screenshots? 

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey woodrowL,

All ads are held to the same character length, however Google will display them differently on a regular basis in order to test and provide the best user experience to searchers.

For example, Google will sometimes add the first description line to the headline, making it look like the headline contains additional characters.

Could this be what you are referring to?

Thanks,

BI

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

https://www.google.com/search?q=truck+driving+school&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USSmiley Surprisedffi...

take a look at this search for truck driving schools.  the third ad has less characters while the others have longer ones.  this is my delima as well.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

https://www.google.com/search?q=truck+driving+school&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USSmiley Surprisedffi...

When I search truck driving schools the first 2 have longer titles or more characters that the 3rd.  Mine was short as well while others were much longer and were able to add a couple of words more.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author woodrowL
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

This is an example of Google adding the first description line to the headline. If you count only the headline, it is no more than 25 characters, and everything after the hyphen is less than 35 characters as well as the last line of copy.

You can accomplish this by adding a period at the end of your first description line.

For example:

CDL Truck Driving Classes

Courses Run Only 3 to 4 Weeks. (PERIOD) 

www.abc.com

Could turn into:

CDL Truck Driving Classes - Courses Run Only 3 to 4 Weeks

www.abc.com

Lastly, all three ads are using Ad Extensions, which add additional snippets of informations such as phone numbers, site links, social stats, location, etc.

Thanks,

BI

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thank you very much.  I will try this