AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Zips not valid?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've been uploading zips in bulk to have geo-targeting, and many of them have been coming up as invalid. Among those rejected are 66675, 06128, 32239, etc. I'm talking about hundreds (out of 1,000). When I try to put them in manually online, theyre are "not found" as well. Some of these, such as 66675, have other zips (e.g. 66603) within the same city that do work, so that can't be the problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem before?
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Zips not valid?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

What country are you targeting?

These look like german zips to me. And to my knowledge zip-targeting is not fully supported in germany at the moment.

Can someone confirm this?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello ArneTR;

You are right; The only country you can Geo-target by zip code is the USA. 

However; these zip codes do look like a valid US zip codes

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

They are valid US ZIP codes.

I spoke to a Google rep who told me that some towns have no hubs from ISPs, and as such, the IPs cannot be traced directly to that zip. They use hubs from nearby areas, and this is what causes these zips to not be recognized as valid by Google.

A workaround can be to target those zips by radius: On the web app in Settings>Locations and Languages>Locations>Targeted Locations>Advanced Search>Radius Targeting you can add zips with a radius (in miles or km) to target. This would work for those areas, because they come up as a neighboring zip.

The problem is that the only way to do radius targeting in bulk is with coordinates; not zips.

Zips not valid?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Then what google needs to do is to display the nearby zip that is VALID because it has an ISP.  Example:  I enter xxxxx and adwords rejects.  Needs to show closest zip with an ISP, or better, asks "if any of your zips are rejected, do you want to include the next closest zip with an ISP?"  I have 20% of my zips rejected and this costs adwords $ and me exposure to those zips. This does not occur with facebook.

Zips not valid?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’