AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Zip code targeting doesn't work

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have just spend a good amount of money on zip code targeting to notice this google feature doesn't work. Google is unable to target a zip codes. I have tested it personally and can guarantee that this feature doesn't work. It is a really sad to see a company like google selling a product that doesn't work and make money out of it. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Zip code targeting doesn't work

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Kilian C can you give us some more details of what you mean by "doesn't work"?  Are you seeing clicks from people apparently outside your targeted area or is it simply that your Campaign(s) have been unsuccessful in achieving the goals you set?

It's very, very rare for a Campaign to "fail" for only one reason.  AdWords is a complex system and relies not only upon the proper construction, monitoring and testing of AdWords itself but also upon your website and landing pages.  GIving us some more information about your business and the approach you took to AdWords will allow us to offer you help to get things working better.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Jon,
Sure I will be happy to do that. Pretty simple, I am based out of Lausanne Switzerland and in my campaign management I decided to target Lausanne Switzerland. Then, I decide to target my adds for specific keywords to Lausanne to see if they would appear and this is where the issue arises. My adds never appeared and I am located there. So, I decided to go on different websites to see where my IP was located, I got various answers, Geneva, Zurich, small villages in the heart of Switzerland... but nothing said Lausanne. So I then decided to target the entire country of Switzerland and then my add appeared in Lausanne but only in that case. The conclusion of all this is that google is unable to target a ZIP codes, it targets the IP and the IP is usually coming for where the servers of my internet providers are and not where I am located.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Just did another test a minute ago. If I go on google maps and type current location. My computer tells me Bern (Switzerland). So I decided to add only Bern as a target location on my adwords campaign. Know that I am located around a 100 km from Bern (around 60 miles). To my surprise when I type my keyword I see my add. I look forward to have answer from someone from google about this issue. I might be wrong but I have the feeling that google is steeling my money and the money of a lot of other advertisers.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Kilian C, if your computer believes you're in Bern, then it's highly likely AdWords will also believe you are in Bern.  AdWords detects a users' location much like any other program that attempts to do so and the accuracy of the results can vary depending upon the country and even the region.  You can read more about how AdWords determines a users' location here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453995?hl=en-GB

What are your Advanced Location settings?  Have you set the Campaign to target only users in your targeted location, or also allowed users interested in your targeted location?  The second option is much broader and likely to produce clicks from, potentially, all around the world.

Like any other aspect of AdWords, the effectiveness of your location targeting has to be measured, evaluated and adjusted to meet your goals.  Until Google knows exactly where every single user is, at all times, location targeting will always be less than 100% accurate (although it can get very good when targeting mobile devices).  Rather than looking at specific clicks that appear to occur outside your targeted area, you should instead be concentrating on the performance of your Campaign(s) and testing whether they meet your goals.  There are many methods of refining location targeting and controlling costs associated with those metrics, but all will require time and analysis to produce the best results.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits