AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Will switching on Audiences (RLSA) kill my existing Search campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

i have an existing, long standing Search only campaign in Adwords. I've been recommended to try RLSA.

If I add Remarketing from the Audiences tab and then target the audience list from GA. Will this Ad Group only show to the Remarketing list or will my normal search keyword searches continue to be shown ads alongside the audience list.

Essentially, do I need to do RLSA as a seperate campaign ot can it be incorporated into my Search campaign?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by pankaj1782 (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Will switching on Audiences (RLSA) kill my existing Search campaig

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Chris,

I always recommend to create a seprate campaigns to manage the budget, CPC and reporting.

Now, coming to your questions

If I add Remarketing from the Audiences tab and then target the audience list from GA. Will this Ad Group only show to the Remarketing list or will my normal search keyword searches continue to be shown ads alongside the audience list.

Yes, It can work in two ways, one for Combined targeting with Keywords + Audience List and the second one- Keyword, that will work independently, Please check the Bidding setting that you have opted in your campaigns.

There are two Types of Bidding Option Target and Bid and Bid Only.

If you choose target and Bid , Your ads will appear when both targeting (KeyWords + Audience) option will match.

If you choose Bid only, your ads will appear when Your Keywords + Audiences matches and Show your ads on keywords only.

Consider the below link for more info, though the example is of GDN but its concept is also applicable in Search + RLSA.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/What-is-exactly-Bid-Only-and-Targ...

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by pankaj1782 (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Chris,

I always recommend to create a seprate campaigns to manage the budget, CPC and reporting.

Now, coming to your questions

Yes, It can work in two ways, one for Combined targeting with Keywords + Audience List and the second one- Keyword, that will work independently, Please check the Bidding setting that you have opted in your campaigns.

There are two Types of Bidding Option Target and Bid and Bid Only.

If you choose target and Bid , Your ads will appear when both targeting (KeyWords + Audience) option will match.

If you choose Bid only, your ads will appear when Your Keywords + Audiences matches and Show your ads on keywords only.

Consider the below link for more info, though the example is of GDN but its concept is also applicable in Search + RLSA.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/What-is-exactly-Bid-Only-and-Targ...

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So, the ad will appear when:

Target and Bid - Someone who is on my Audience list searches for a keyword in my ad group

Bid only: Someone who is on my list gets shown the ad and anyone else who isn't on my list gets shown the ad when a keyword is matched

Is that right

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Yes,

You are bang on Chris Smiley Happy Glad to see I make you understand properly.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It wasn't terribly clear, but glad we got there in the end.

Thanks for your help

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I would like to add some useful ideas to the great advice from Rakesh.

1) About " target the audience list from GA" : doing RLSA with a google analytics list has some limitations mentioned here :

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6212951?hl=en

• Lists that are based on any of the following data are not eligible for use in search remarketing:

• Google Display Network Demographics dimensions: Age, Gender, Interests
    • Google Analytics Demographics and Technology dimensions: Language, Location (including Region, Continent, Sub-continent, Country, City, Metro), Operating System, Operating System Version, Browser, Browser Version, Screen Resolution, Screen Colors, Device Category, Mobile, Tablet, Mobile Device Branding, Mobile Device Model, Mobile Device Info, Mobile Device Marketing Name

So if you segmented  your the GA remarketing list based on age, gender or interests, you will probably get zero traffic for that audience in a Search Network Ad Group.

This is why I use the AdWords tag for RLSA instead of GA audiences , which is described here :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2701222?hl=en

"To start using remarketing lists for search ads, you create a remarketing list and add a snippet of code that you get from AdWords, called a remarketing tag, to your site. You can add the new remarketing tag to every page in your site."

2) About "do I need to do RLSA as a seperate campaign ot can it be incorporated into my Search campaign"

Just by adding the RLSA audience and using the BID option to open traffic also to general visitors nothing is obtained. 

You have to at least use different bids for the RLSA audience by changing the bid adjustment percentage to 30-50% more and this makes the AdWords Ads to appear on a higher position for the RLSA audience.

The RLSA audience is important because it represents a set of potential customers which you already gained because by reading 2-3 pages from your website , they have completed the Awareness and Consideration stages of the buying cycle. 

At a second visit which you obtain with RLSA targeting, this audience is transitioning from the Consideration stage to the Intent stage of the buying cycle and if they prefer your offer , they will purchase , especially if you facilitate the RLSA audience path to purchase by sending them to a proper landing page.

So a more profitable usage of the RLSA audience targeting is to use a new campaign with new ads and new landing pages adapted to each segment from the audience. 

You can also exclude the RLSA audience from your initial Search Campaign.

I hope this helps.