AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Will re-naming URLs and setting up 301 redirects cause any problems if destination URL redirects?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are in the process of cleaning up our website and want to rename some pages using hyphens to clarify the URL for the user - for example, www.mydomain.com/loans/unsecuredpersonalloan.aspx would become www.amone.com/loans/unsecured-personal-loan.aspx.  I can eventually adjust all of the destination URLs in AdWords to reflect the new hyphenated pages, but until I do we were going to have the old pages set up with a 301 redirect to teh new hyphenated pages.  Does anyone know if this will cause any issues in our AdWords campaigns?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Will re-naming URLs and setting up 301 redirects cause any problems if destination URL redirects

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi M_D_Kelley,

That shouldn't be a problem at all.  It's actually a good idea to 301 re-direct pages to the new URL. If the pages are Google indexed, the  redirect will cause the page rank (organic) to transfer to the new URL.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Will re-naming URLs and setting up 301 redirects cause any problems if destination URL redirects

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi M_D_Kelley,

In addition to what Pete said above, I would like you to go through the Destination URL Policy here so that you are aware of what is permitted and what is not for your final destination URL.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
We've found that this could potentially cause Google Analytics issues. For some reason, the GCLID analytics cookie may lose it. Just keep an eye out, if this is of concern for you.

If you see that happen, just rewrite the URL's in the destination URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the heads up, that would be a concern we'd want to be aware of.

Re: Will re-naming URLs and setting up 301 redirects cause any problem

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am going through this same issue right now.

In theory there is nothing wrong with a 301 redirect.

Remember though your display URL has to have the same domain as the landing page.

In your example you mention using two domains.

If the domain in the ad does not match the destination url then you would be in violation of the Adwords policies.

Possible Issues:

1) Loss of cookies

2) Custom UTM tagging maybe be lost.

3) Additional time added when redirecting. If the redirect takes too long this can increase the time it takes to load the destination URL. This could in turn affect Quality Score since the user experience may have gone down.