AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Why wouldn't 2 clicks in a row from the same IP Count as Invalid Clicks

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Today I was looking at an account and noticed it had 3 impressions and 2 clicks.  The keyword was something like "insurance denver co" and the clicks both came from San Francisco, CA so I think it's safe to say it was the same person clicking.  I am just wondering why the 2nd click wouldn't have been counted as invalid?  Is there any point trying to get Google to refund me for the 1 click?  Has anyone had any luck with that?

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual
3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author JoyHawkins
September 2015

Re: Why wouldn't 2 clicks in a row from the same IP Count as Invalid Clicks

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Joy,

It's fairly common for a visitor who is price or comparison shopping to click on your ad more than once. That's not necessarily an invalid click.The fact that the visitor came back after comparing your company to your competition should be seen as a positive thing.

If a user accidentally double-clicks on an ad, that could be an invalid click.

What Google tries to screen out is multiple clicks by the same use within a short period of time. Or consistently clicking on your ad by a competitor trying to use up your daily budget.

No, there's little chance you'll get refunded for clicks like this. The only way to determine if the clicks were by the same person or from the same IP address is to look through your own web logs. Google does not provide enough data to draw that kind of conclusion--they consider that a privacy issue.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author JoyHawkins
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Joy,

It's fairly common for a visitor who is price or comparison shopping to click on your ad more than once. That's not necessarily an invalid click.The fact that the visitor came back after comparing your company to your competition should be seen as a positive thing.

If a user accidentally double-clicks on an ad, that could be an invalid click.

What Google tries to screen out is multiple clicks by the same use within a short period of time. Or consistently clicking on your ad by a competitor trying to use up your daily budget.

No, there's little chance you'll get refunded for clicks like this. The only way to determine if the clicks were by the same person or from the same IP address is to look through your own web logs. Google does not provide enough data to draw that kind of conclusion--they consider that a privacy issue.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

I'd also add here that multiple clicks from the same IP are not always invalid. Some ISPs give the same IP address to multiple clients, so it could be a different user that clicked on the ad, they just happened to have the same IP address. This link explains this in a little more detail. 

Hope this helps!

A.