AdWords
7K members online now
7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Why wont Google Help? For 2 years im getting targeted by competitors.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is just a snapshot of my daily issue....

Of my last 300 site page visits - 4 IP addresses make up 293 of those.
Im spending nearly 80,000 AU dollars a year on these invalid clicks from competitors.
I exclude ip addresses (you should see the list)
I talk to google.
I get cut and paste reply emails that tell me all the reasons why something might be legitimate.

I KNOW MY BUSINESS. I KNOW MY REAL CUSTOMERS HOW THEUY USE OUR ADS/SITE . I KNOW THIS IS OUT OF CONTROL AND IM NOT THE ONLY ONE!

Why wont you help me?
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why wont Google Help? For 2 years im getting targeted by competitors.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi toddjms, unfortunately no one here, not even the Google employees, have access to actual Adwords accounts so we can't offer any direct help.  However, I'll try...  Can I clarify a couple of points?

1)  Are you receiving any credit for invalid clicks in your billing cycle(s)?

2)  How long have you been running the account?

3)  What percentage of your overall spend is the 80k AU$?

4)  Are you saying that IP blocking is not working for you?  Are you seeing clicks from IP addresses you have blocked?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Jon. 

Ive been running it for years.IP blocking works IF people dont have IP adressses constantly changing. This can happen for numbers of reasons and all make blocking a bit of a token effort.

I would like to have options (like in the display network) to limit the amount of clicks available to users per week/month etc.

I have spent $700 in 3 days and recieved 150 + clicks ..exhausting the budget. - 8 phone calls came as a result.

To explain the biz, we fix leaks. People dont search for services like ours unless they have a problem. With this, they need a solution SO, they search/click and call. Thats how it goes for us and those like us. 

In all my years of business and 5 years of adwords, never have I seen this. 

But no help. We spend 1200 + a week on adwords. tooo much for this for sure.

50 clicks a day and 1 call is not the result we need.

I watch the visitors through my hosting account and see the repeat visitors. We are not a repeat visitor tyype of business. Once you call, no need to return. Once we attend, no need to search for us as all communication is passed over. 

So repeats of 120 site visits and or page visits on a 6 page website that offers a solution to an immediate problem is alarming ....especially at this cost.

What are we to do?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

toddjms wrote:

.I have spent $700 in 3 days and recieved 150 + clicks ..exhausting the budget. - 8 phone calls came as a result.

What is your ROI? Are you really making any profit from adwrods since a year? if not, then why are you running it anymore?

For me, this is a big issue if you are getting invalid clicks from same IP or visitors. I don;t think that there should be any issue from Adword system. Adwords may miss few clicks but not the issue like you have mentioned.

my second question is - How you get your account reviewed from any other adwords professional except you? If not then you should. 

There might be some issue with your account setting, keywords & other things. If you share all specific details, then other may give you a better suggestion.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My experiment this week- 

MONDAY 8th THIS WEEK - splashback clicks 7.....bathroom renovation clicks 27

TUESDAY 9th  -splashback clicks 8.....bathroom renovation 27

**Experiment starts......(PAUSE BATHROOM RENOVATION AD)

WEDNESDAY 10th  -splashback clicks 32 clicks. A jump of 25 clicks....(almost 27 right?)

Report 2-

2012 - Last 2 weeeks are as follows

498 clicks 

36,000 impressions 

ctr 1.39

cpc $4.73

CALLS- 22 only

The same 2 weeks last year-2011

163 clicks 

93,000 impressions 

ctr .018

cpc $17.07 

CALLS 40

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi toddjms, it's very difficult to provide any kind of account analysis "remotely" as it were but some of the figures you're presenting to us do suggest to me that the campaign(s) are not as tightly focused as they could be.  36k impressions is quite a high figure for only two weeks.  I'd also want to look at your target networks - I'd suggest that for your sort of business the Search network only will provide the best leads - and your keywords and Ad copy - are you targeting the right people and are your Ads clear about the services you offer?

Typically, when a large number of clicks result in few conversions, it's usually because the site doesn't match what the user is looking for in some way (whereas the ad suggested it would).  This can be the actual service(s) offered, price, or simply (believe it or not) because the site itself is hard to use or doesn't present key information well.

I can't comment on the invalid click activity - it's impossible to do so remotely.  However, I will ask again, are you receiving invalid click credits from Google?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have had some credits yes BUT its a pretty flawed system. Google interpritation  of invalid clicks and the reality of them can often differ. 

Can i suggest the most extreme version of what you put forward?

We fix leaking showers.

This isnt a great magnet for accidental searches. Nobody types "leaking shower" for fun. So...pretty qualified leads right?

Afterward...the 3 obvious possiblities that follow after such a search might look like this. (of course there are more but for the case, lets try these) 

1- Our ad comes up saying "We Fix Leaking Showers". We get a click/visit and the prospect finds out all about the service we provide which directly links to the service they need. He/She is either satisfied or not and makes a call...or not. 

*not a great deal of room for misinterpretation about our service either in the ad or on the site it points to. 

2- Assuming I dont use negative keywords or pay attention to phrase match/exact match/broad match criteria (i do)

... somebody types in "baby shower"? Our ad shows but is so irrelivent to the search it doesnt get clicked. 

3- Our competitors are targeting us and getting away with it.

Based on the figures I have shown earlier...what seems most likely? 

Also- an educated adword fraud clicker would know the value of keywords and ways to change IP adress yeah? 

So when I remove the ad getting the most invalid clicks and IMMMEDIATELY the ad i have holding the next highest value keywords jumps up 25 clicks in one day after getting about 7 per day for 2 months.....? 

I dont think you need to see my reports to know that this is quite concerning.

YET.....Google is doing nothing! 

Now im only ONE business in the world BUT what if globally, these issues turn 1 million business away from spending 80,000 on adwords? 

Also...lets forget the 1 million and remember I am a customer of google in need of real help. 

Im happy that you have read this far...but mate, really what the heck can i do when I do everything I can but am not supported by google?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 8
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

Color me a little confused - you say the only service you provide is to fix leaks, but the two keywords that you posted traffic examples for are not plumbing leak keywords, they'vre both home renovation keywords. (Splashback can be for kitch or bath renovation, and your other keyword example was 'bathroom renovation.') There's a lot of traffic for home renovation keywords--both from people looking to hire professionals and from people wanting to do it themselves.

I would have to agree with Cobnut--it does not seem to me that your keyword list is as tightly focused as it should be. 

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

we fix leaks...Campaign 1

we fit shower splashbacks...campaign 2

we do bathroom renovations ....campaign 3

each ad obviously has different copy as well as different keywords attached to them. These keywords are high search keywords and are appropriate for the ad.

I have not listed keywords set in my previous posts. I listed campaign names.

We service all bathroom industries of this nature and the website is reflective....but this is getting off the point.

Hope this explains it better.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here's another example of what the log shows us-

*i messed with campains and tightened them so much it hurt to further the experiments and day 1 gave results more reflective of the phone calls.

Day 2 however -

Clicks 17..Impr.236.. CTR 7.20% (better than the best internet guru eh) 

One ip address visited the site 20 times....IN LESS THAN SECONDS.

And google is doing something about this??? 

What cut and paste answer will i get to explain this one? 

Ps....HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!

So again Ill exclude the ip's that are on the list and tomorrow they will be different ones doing the same thing.