AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Why low Impression?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I am Hoang. I manage the Gooogle Adwords for our travel company. My campain is working well with hight CTR, clicks and QS. Many high QS keywords with good traffict a month but i face with problem and have some question. I think these question many people who manage Google Ads hava to face. So, we should dicussion.

Prob1 : Hight QS, good traffict ( ~ 2400 /month ) but why low impression? I have a Ads group with many keywords like that ( QS =10/10), if rarely have impression the CTR could be 25% but very very low impression. Sometime is zero! anyone know which factors effect on impression?

Prob 2: Could we controll the impression? I mean you have a Ads group that groups relevant keywords as the bridge from you LANDING PAGE to your ADS but which keywords have high impression in a group? why? i see that not high QS, not highly traffict keywords.

Please leave your ideas, and we could get our answers.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hoang H
September 2015

Re: Why low Impression?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, thanks for clarifying. So you are using an Audience applied to a Search campaign with the default Target and bid. In this situation your keywords can match search terms only from the people in your audience .

When you switch to "Bid" instead of "Target and bid" ( by using the +Remarketing button) , all the searchers matching your other targeting restrictions ( location, language, schedule, etc) can have their search terms match your keywords but you can tweak bids for your audience.

For the Adience you can increase the Bid adjustment with (for example) 30% in order to obtain a higher Ad position and more visibility just for people in your audience when their search terms match your keywords. This can lead to more clicks from them.

This is an advantage as those visitors already know your site and they can convert in the next visit. Many conversions can happen during multiple visits, to check how many conversions happen in 2 or more steps, access the "Search funnel" section, the Top Paths report, described here : link

If your conversions happen in a long time, for example if you sell expensive holliday packages and people start visiting hotel sites 3 months in advance before actually purchasing, you can increase the conversion window to 90 days to observe more conversions happening in 2 or more visits.

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Prob1 : Hight QS, good traffict ( ~ 2400 /month ) but why low impression? I have a Ads group with many keywords like that ( QS =10/10), if rarely have impression the CTR could be 25% but very very low impression. Sometime is zero! anyone know which factors effect on impression?

I assume you are writing about a Search Network Campaign ( not Display)

1) Have you checked the traffic of this keyword in the keyword planner ? If you say 2400 and very low impression, are those 2400 clicks / month for how many impressions ?

2) Some of the factors that affect impressions could be :

a) the match type of the keyword, the exact match receives less impressions than the phrase match, and less than the BMM ( broad modified match , with + signs in front of words)

b) the MaxCPC bid lower than the top of page bid which in turn gives to the keyword the avg. pos. of less than 2 or 3 so what is the avg. pos. metric for this keyword that you are analysing

c) negative keywords in simple broad. If you have too many negative keywords in a simple broad these could match many combinations of normal keywords. I tend to use negative keywords in phrase match even if they are made from 1 word.

d) location exclusions

e) enabling conversion optimiser decreases impressions as it controls the MaxCPC to lower it for search terms which it predicts that won't result in a conversion, based on your conversion history

f) use keywords made from fewer words. If for now you have a QS of 10/10 for a keyword from 5 words, try to develop from it some keywords of 4 words.

Prob 2: Could we controll the impression? I mean you have a Ads group that groups relevant keywords as the bridge from you LANDING PAGE to your ADS but which keywords have high impression in a group? why? i see that not high QS, not highly traffict keywords.

You cannot control impressions,in a way to make them much more than they are in reality, these reflect the will of the searchers. You cannot snap your fingers to obtain 100 more impressions for a keyword , at will.

A high QS is important to gain many impressions. Ads without a high QS do not get served in the top 3 spots which receive the most percentage of clicks. Aim to take your keyword to the avg. pos. of 1 if you can afford it , or 2 or 3. In these positions you can add Sitelinks, location and call extensions. These extensions make your Ad bigger, it will occupy more space and draw more attention.

More about extensions from here : link

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Thank you very much! i just chat with the google supporter and they said that cause of i use remarketing in Audience. I try to remove them. waiting for the result tmr ^^. Will be report early .

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

This is a nice question, though, my feeling is more in the direction Adrian outlined, and not the Remarketing . (I think there was some confusion, since Remarketing should not affect the impression on search, unless you set a RLSA- you need to elaborate on the setting)

In my view - as in a sense suggested by Adrian -  is that you are running a "tight" campaign with very tight match types and keywords. I personally like that. It drives  traffic with high CTR and (usually) high conversion rate.The only thing I would change is to  "loosen" a bit the match types (by setting a different ad group of broad match KWs) which   "collec"t traffic filtered by the "exact match" KWs. I would bid lower on these KWs.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is a nice question, though, my feeling is more in the direction Adrian outlined, and not the Remarketing . (I think there was some confusion, since Remarketing should not affect the impression on search, unless you set a RLSA- you need to elaborate on the setting)

In my view - as in a sense suggested by Adrian -  is that you are running a "tight" campaign with very tight match types and keywords. I personally like that. It drives  traffic with high CTR and (usually) high conversion rate.The only thing I would change is to  "loosen" a bit the match types (by setting a different ad group of broad match KWs) which   "collec"t traffic filtered by the "exact match" KWs. I would bid lower on these KWs.

-Moshe

Thank you Moshe!

But i have the knowledge about keywords match type ( broad, phrase, exact, negative ) and i know the match type is not the reason. I often reache keywords before dedice which keyword should be run, of course never low avg. monthly searches and i often use 3 words keywords and try to improve the QS keywords which i want.

The keywords and Audience are the intersection of two sets so it's could be effect on queries -> effect on impression.

I ask this question coz i have two campain with the same setting but only difference from localtion: campain A ( for Au, Us, Uk) and campain B ( other english language national ).same keyword in a ads group but one is many impression, and other is not. I use keyword planner for this keyword for both of these markets. They are the same seaches. So the seaches couldnt be the reason.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I am confused by the way you described the problem.

1) I do not understand what kind of campaigns do you have. You seem to have described 2 campaigns. Are they both Search Only ( no Display ) ?

2) What are the location and language targeting of these 2 campaigns ? One campaign is targeting english language from 3 countries while the other is targeting the english language from all other countries ?

3) In which campaign do you also use Audience targeting, is it the second campaign targeting all countries and english language ?

4) When you have setup the audience did you use "Target and bid" (default setting) which restricts traffic only to the previous visitors who belong to the audience or "Bid" which does not restrict traffic to the audience but only allows you to bid higher for visitors from the audience ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi 

I just check the campain after i removed the remarketing list. Now the impression look like logic, not zero anymore. As i said, the Audience and keywords is the intersection of two sets ( the remarketing i set is Bid and Target). so the user query is not much -> low impression. I think so.

I am confused by the way you described the problem.

1) I do not understand what kind of campaigns do you have. You seem to have described 2 campaigns. Are they both Search Only ( no Display ) ?

I only use Google search and partner campain ( not display network). Both of them are GG search and partner.

2) What are the location and language targeting of these 2 campaigns ? One campaign is targeting english language from 3 countries while the other is targeting the english language from all other countries ?

Both of campain target on English. I dived into 2 campain coz the one is high cost and widely, and the second is not. ( only have the difference is location. Campain 1: Au, Us, Uk and the 2nd: other country use English language)

3) In which campaign do you also use Audience targeting, is it the second campaign targeting all countries and english language ?

I use the Audience targeting on group which have the low impression. I tried to remove it, and now working well. ^^.

4) When you have setup the audience did you use "Target and bid" (default setting) which restricts traffic only to the previous visitors who belong to the audience or "Bid" which does not restrict traffic to the audience but only allows you to bid higher for visitors from the audience ?

I read about the remarketing configure and google network, maybe this is the not clear in my knowledge. So could could you help me to clear this troub? Now i understand, if i use " Target n Bid" that's mean:  the intersection of two sets and if i use " Bid Only" that mean: the union of two sets. Right? ( i used the Target and Bid, this cause of prob ).

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hoang H
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, thanks for clarifying. So you are using an Audience applied to a Search campaign with the default Target and bid. In this situation your keywords can match search terms only from the people in your audience .

When you switch to "Bid" instead of "Target and bid" ( by using the +Remarketing button) , all the searchers matching your other targeting restrictions ( location, language, schedule, etc) can have their search terms match your keywords but you can tweak bids for your audience.

For the Adience you can increase the Bid adjustment with (for example) 30% in order to obtain a higher Ad position and more visibility just for people in your audience when their search terms match your keywords. This can lead to more clicks from them.

This is an advantage as those visitors already know your site and they can convert in the next visit. Many conversions can happen during multiple visits, to check how many conversions happen in 2 or more steps, access the "Search funnel" section, the Top Paths report, described here : link

If your conversions happen in a long time, for example if you sell expensive holliday packages and people start visiting hotel sites 3 months in advance before actually purchasing, you can increase the conversion window to 90 days to observe more conversions happening in 2 or more visits.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much! Adrian B. Ahh..