AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Why does the quality score of words change so much?

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 1
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Why does the quality score of words change so much, sometimes even during the same day. I have 100's of keywords that are at a 7 Quality Score and 10.0%+ CTR that sometime jump up to a 9 or 10, but usually only for a day or two, then then go back to being a 7 again.  What needs to be done to get them to stick as a 9 or a 10 and what would be the cause for them changing so much?

This popular discussion was copied from the former Help Forum.

Top Contributor, vkore91 relied:

Quality Scores are recalculated several times per day and the actual scores will fluctuate based on performance, competition, and other relevancy factors.  There is no real way to tell exactly why your Quality Scores are fluctuating, but keep in mind that even though your overall CTR is 10%+, that is just your average Quality Score and doesn't take into account how your CTR fluctuates between different positioning.  Don't be discouraged w/ a 7, as that is still a higher CTR.  I would probably spend more time focusing on your ROI and optimizing your Campaigns.

Zee
G+

Re: Why does the quality score of words change so much?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Couldn't agree more with the answer above. Quality score is a shiny object that many people love to talk about and optimize towards.While it IS extremely important, you should always optimize towards your end goal: ie. Traffic, Sales, Leads.

Be proud of the CTR, too. That is a great metric to focus on.

Happy Bidding!

Re: Why does the quality score of words change so much?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

To have a quality score of a 10 to go to a 7 or 8 is nothing to be concerned about. Going from a 10 to a 1, you have problems.

It's going to change when your ad is trggered via someone performing a search. It will usually fluctuate due to your account history: The overall CTR of all the ads and keywords in your account.