AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Why does adwords stop support for IE8 on Windows XP?

Not applicable
# 1
Not applicable

Is it a marketing thing to push the use of Chrome? On windows XP there is no option to upgrade to IE9. And I do not want to install a second browser next to IE8 on my perfect working windows XP system.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author
September 2015

Re: Why does adwords stop support for IE8 on Windows XP?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I don't think it's a marketing thing at all. According to Google, since Microsoft has stopped supporting XP (and IE8), they are stopping support as well. It's as simple as that.

If you don't want to install Chrome, you can use Firefox instead. That's what I use most often. As long as the sites you visit are not written to be IE specific, Firefox and Chrome are much more compliant browsers than IE of any version. Writing web apps that work on Firefox, Chrome and Safari is comparatively easy as compared to adding support for IE. Including support for IE8 and earlier versions is a real pain for web developers.

Installing Firefox or Chrome is a fairly painless operation and will not break your "perfect working windows XP system".

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, I don't think Google needs to push Chrome over IE, given the trend in usage over the past few years.  Chrome installs perfectly well on XP - I'm using Chrome on XP SP2 to type this message - and I would argue that using the available tools to access your advertising account(s) should be your primary concern.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I don't think it's a marketing thing at all. According to Google, since Microsoft has stopped supporting XP (and IE8), they are stopping support as well. It's as simple as that.

If you don't want to install Chrome, you can use Firefox instead. That's what I use most often. As long as the sites you visit are not written to be IE specific, Firefox and Chrome are much more compliant browsers than IE of any version. Writing web apps that work on Firefox, Chrome and Safari is comparatively easy as compared to adding support for IE. Including support for IE8 and earlier versions is a real pain for web developers.

Installing Firefox or Chrome is a fairly painless operation and will not break your "perfect working windows XP system".

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords