AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Why do I need to be on first page to have my ads running?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why don't you run ads if they "so called" don't qualify for the first page? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why do I need to be on first page to have my ads running?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Martin F,

Your ads will only show when a user when a user goes beyond the first page of search results. If you're ad shows on page 2 of the SERP, it will only be seen if the user actually goes to page 2. If you're on page 3, that's even further down on the chain. It works for some people, but not for all.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Why do I need to be on first page to have my ads running?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Martin,

I think you'll find that Google's just trying to get you to increase your bid price. Peter's spot on about your ad appearing in second place.

Bear in mind that the ads in first and second place on the first page get 75% of the clicks - and on page 2 you'll get barely any. That's fine just as long as you can afford to make a profit by being there.

The other strategy is to make sure your ad is outstanding - and boost your click through rates. There are a dozen and more emotional triggers you can scratch to make your ad stand out - in other words, don't be part of the crowd! The magic of Adwords (and what makes it way more powerful than others) is that the better your CTR the lower the CPC. If you have 2x the clicks that your next lowest competitor has, your click price is based on their price plus one penny.

With a difference though. You have twice as many clicks. That means you pay half as much for your clicks (plus one penny).

My policy is to work a small campaign, refine it to get a good CTR and expand as it becomes profitable. That way you're on the first page in spot four or five to begin with - and you work your way up from there. Not by paying more, but by getting more clicks (and of course, converting them!)