AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Why display remarketing list size is decreasing?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

I created a remarketing list in Feb 2015 and everything was going well. But from last 1 month I noticed a huge fall in my list size.

Below are monthly & weekly numbers of list:-

1 .On 3rd may my list size was 600000 (round figure) and on 4th June it is 150000 (round figure)

2. On 26th may my list size was 337000 and today it's 150000 (more than 50% of drop in one week)

I didn't changed any settings in list (url, membership duration etc.)

My remarketing code is working. I tested that in GTM

My traffic is up instead in last 1 month.

Can anyone tell me the possible reason.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Why display remarketing list size is decreasing?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Remarketing lists don't simply keep on growing - at least not once they have completed the cookie duration....

Let's say you have a list that is set to 30 days... day one 100 people are added, day two another 100 - by day 30 you will have 3000 people on the list. But day 31 you will still have 3000 people on the list because although 100 people were added, the 100 people who joined the list on day one drop off the other end....

Take a look at your cookie duration and look to see when the list grew significantly.... if you got a big increase one week, you will have a corresponding big decrease during the week that falls at the end of the cookie duration period.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Remarketing lists don't simply keep on growing - at least not once they have completed the cookie duration....

Let's say you have a list that is set to 30 days... day one 100 people are added, day two another 100 - by day 30 you will have 3000 people on the list. But day 31 you will still have 3000 people on the list because although 100 people were added, the 100 people who joined the list on day one drop off the other end....

Take a look at your cookie duration and look to see when the list grew significantly.... if you got a big increase one week, you will have a corresponding big decrease during the week that falls at the end of the cookie duration period.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi stickleback,

That's right... Most of my list grew in April & May Month and my list membership duration is 180 days so those cookies is still not expired.

Number of people joined the list in early days are very less compare to number of people joining the list currently. So, I think there should not drop in the list.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Are you seeing those numbers in the graph for the size history?
Are you sure your tags are still firing properly on your site (you can check with the Google Tag Assistant chrome extension or even look at the stats under Shared Library > Audiences > Tag details)? Do you have lists with shorter membership duration (e.g. 1 day) to see if they fluctuate the same way?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi maxime,

Yes I am seeing those in in the graph for 6 months ( my list membership duration is 180 days)

My Tags are firing properly I have check with tag assistant & in shared library both.

I don't have list for 1 days.... I am just going to create a list for 1 days will update tomorrow with the effect.