AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Why can't I use Conversion Optimizer?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

AdWords is telling me that one of my campaigns is now eligible to use Conversion Optimizer. However, when I try to change my bid strategy from manual CPC to Conversion Optimizer, I get this message:

"This campaign is using bid adjustments that aren't compatible with this bidding option."

What do I need to adjust to be able to use Conversion Optimizer?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why can't I use Conversion Optimizer?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Max P

The Optimizer does its own bid adjusting, and so it won't allow you to adjust as well.  The only thing you can do is adjust mobile devices down 100%, to not show on them at all.

It is a bit frustrating, as I know some locations and times are better for my customers than others, but that's how they set it up. 

You should also set your ad rotation to "Optimize for conversions: Show ads expected to provide more conversions" which will improve the running of the Optimizer.

Happy Hunting!

Phil

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply. I think I understand what you mean, but I'm still unsure of something: Is there a setting I can (or need to) turn off so that I can use the Conversion Optimizer (under "Bidding and budget" on the settings tab for my campaign). For many of my campaigns I use Conversion Optimzer, but for just this one campaign, AdWords won't let me. No matter where I look, I can't find what about this campaign is keeping me from using that feature.

In this case, I don't want to do any adjusting... I just want Google to do it, but it won't let me turn on the Optimizer.

Thanks again!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Scott S,

The first thing that comes to mind is number of conversions in the past couple weeks.  If you've had fewer than (I believe) 15, then under the greyed out button for Conversion Optimizer, it would say "Unavailable because this campaign doesn't have  enough conversion data." 

Is that the case? 

Phil

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No, I don't think that's the issue. AdWords is actually prompting me to switch to Conversion Optimizer for this campaign, which is why this is so frustrating!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hmmmm, not sure.  How long ago did that prompt to go CPA start?  I seem to remember having that issue, but the next day it worked. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just started getting the prompt today. I don't recall ever having this issue before, where AdWords invited me to switch to CPA but then told me I couldn't for some other reason.

Not the end of the world... just weird!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just had this same issue. We had mobile bids adjusted to -20%, but when I changed it to 0% the conversion optimizer was allowed. See if that helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I had the same issue and found this to work without adjusting my device modifiers:

1) Removed ad scheduling bid modifiers
2) Remove location modifiers

After that it was good to go for me!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I did the same (adjusted mobile bids). Had to do it in two places but worked for me too.