AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Why can't I get the Engagements Ads option at the Ad Group level?

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

A common question that is asked is, why can't I get the Engagement Ads option under the Ad Gallery tool, at the Ad Group level?

To start off, let's start with what Engagement Ads are:

Also known as Lightbox ads, they are a suite of interactive rich media ad formats that help you connect customers with your brand message. Interactions in these ads can range anywhere from hovering the mouse pointer over an ad to expand the unit, to playing a video, and to tapping for content. The ad itself can be a large canvas that you use to promote your brand's message, whether the canvas is a video carousel, interactive game, or catalog.

How do I pay for these kind of ads?

The bidding is similar to the CPC model, the only difference being, you bid on engagements here, which means, only when a user has chosen to engage with your ad. This way, you can be sure that a user is at least interested in the ad, which is why he/she is choosing to engage with the ad actively.

Where do I see this option?

You will be able to see it in the Ads tab, when you click on the red +AD +ADbutton and select the Ad Gallery option from the drop-down menu.

Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 9.13.20 pm.png

Why doesn't it come at an ad group level?

Now, the first thing to check in here is, is the ad group under a Display Network only- Engagement campaign?

If not, the option will not come for you in this case, as they require the ad group's bidding strategy to be set at Bidding on engagements. Now, since there isn't a way to set a general bid strategy at the ad group level, this needs to be set at the campaign level itself, hence, the aforementioned campaign type of Display Network only- Engagement

Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 9.14.15 pm.png

A few things to note here

• Let's say that you did not have an Engagement campaign and noticed this problem in one of the ad groups. At this point, going back and changing the campaign sub-type to Engagement will not append the settings to existing ad groups in the campaign. The only workaround is to create a new ad group once you have properly changed the campaign settings to "Engagement"

• Recommendation is to always set up an "engagement" campaign first and then create a new ad group when building Lightbox Ads.

I hope this helps! 

Tushar

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why can't I get the Engagements Ads option at the Ad Group level?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Thank you for sharing this with us!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*