AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Why are my ads not showing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running a new campaign. I have a budget of $10 a day. It's what I can afford. I have let Google set the cost per click max. The keywords I have chosen have "Low" competition according to the keyword tool and I have done multiple searches from multiple locations using multiple devices and no ads show up for my keywords at all. I tested this for a week before I set up my campaign and no ads showed up ever. That tells me that no one, or very few people are bidding on these keywords even though they are searched according to the keyword tool. So, that being the case, why does Adwords tell me that my ads are not showing up because of my budget? If I only can spend $10 a day and no other ads are showing up and Google set max bid at $1 then what's the problem? If I only get 10 click fosr my budget that's fine with me. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why are my ads not showing?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Joseph P ! Welcome to the Community !

Have you tried the Ad Preview tool as described here in this troubleshooter ?

https://support.google.com/adwords/troubleshooter/1711301?hl=en

1) What restrictions have you setup regarding location, scheduling, keyword matching options.

2) What is the status of your ads and keywords ? Are they approved ?

3) Are you looking at the data from Today , because the default is "last 7 days" not including today ?

4) Here is some info about the Ad and keywords statuses :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722129?hl=en

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453978?hl=en

5) What does the keyword planner tell you about your keyword traffic in your location and your language , how many clicks and impressions does it estimate ?

6) Did you know that data is updated in adwords with delays up to 24 hours ?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Joseph,

As @Adrian suggested you should use the Ad Preview tool instead of trying to display your ad using Google search. If you keep searching for your ad you will run up impressions, although that does not hit your budget but it will have an impact on your CTR and thus your Ad Rank.

$10/day should not be an issue, check your current balance under Billing Menu.

-Mehdi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Mehdi and Adrian,

Let me state that I was not doing searches to find my own ad. I was doing searches to see if other ads showed up for my keywords. None have since I have started looking. I've set my search location to US, and then all the major cites and no ads show up. That tells me that I have little to know competition most likely. Even Google tells me Low competition. And using the ad preview only one ad showed up for one of my keywords from another company. So, once again, it appears that no one is really bidding on my keywords, so $10 a day should be plenty.

Yes I have looked at my ads in the preview and it won't show me one. It tells me this:
"We're only showing your ad occasionally because of your budget."

But in a different place in adwords it tells me that the ad is not showing.

I have no restrictions set at all.

My ads and keywords have been approved.

My estimated clicks were 30-45 a day.

I set this account up yesterday.

Thanks,

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Joseph,

Have you tried your keywords using Traffic Estimator tool? Tools & analysis -> Traffic Estimator.

-Mehdi

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1) Have you connected Analytics with adwords ? Analytics usually shows data more quickly with a 3-4 hour delay or less. You can look at the Advertising section in adwords and "Today" to see if you have clicks.

2) Are you using bidding adjustments that might increase your price per click ?

3) What do you mean by this "But in a different place in adwords it tells me that the ad is not showing."

What place ?

4) Can you try at the begining to set a 40 $ per day limit in order to start triggering impressions ?

5) Are you using all the keyword matching types ? Because the estimator shows estimate clicks by default using broad match and if you use phrase match , searches can be far less.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
HI Joshep,

If The keywords has low search volume it is the chances that your keywords does triggered Ads.

So Please check the Keywords Status.

After searching the keywords on Google it does not show any Ads that does means can get cheap clicks.

I suggest to find some other keywords related to your product/ Services through Keyword Tools and keywords have enough search volume and then check your ads.

Also mention that whether are getting and impression and click in Adwords Dashboard?

It is also the chances that your budget constraint to show your ads. Please do a testing to increase your for certain time and check the ads in ad preview tool.

also mouse over the Keywords Bubble on Keywords or use a Ad-diagnostic Tool to find the proper reasons.
Good LuckSmiley Happy

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Everyone,

I have come to the conclusion that Google just wants me to spend more money. This is why:

I raised my daily spend to $40 after trying multiple lower amounts, and the ads started running. I spent $30 yesterday. So, I changed the daily spend back to what I can afford ($10 a day) and it stopped running.

My average PPC cost was $.33 cents when it was running.

Also, there is almost no competition at all for these keywords as evidenced by the fact that no one elses ads show up for these terms when you search them. I mean nobody! Hundreds of searches on these keyword and no other ads else showed up.

My keywords are searched and they are search a lot. I checked them in the keyword tool. Both broad, exact and phrase.

I should be able to spend $10 a day or $300 a month and have my ads show for keywords that very few, if any, are bidding on. I shouldn't have to pay $1,200a month. It's kind of ridiculous.

It would be nice if someone had answer to this, but from what I can tell, Google is just trying to get as much out of me as they can.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a campaign for a dental office for 0.25 $ average cpc and around 40 clicks per day and it never stopped running, the daily budget is just like your 10 $ ,it rarely gets depleted and the CTR is 4-5 %. Every two days he gets a client so his "conversion rate" is around 1 %.

About "there is almost no competition at all for these keywords" I would sugest using the Auction Insights tool now that you have 100 clicks in 2 or 3 days you may find out what your competition is. Also there are various other metrics about competition like "Search impression share"  or "Search Lost IS (budget)". If your competitors have a low budget too you won't see their ads very often since google places a cookie on computers and counts the number of times an ad is served to make it available to many users throughout the day. 

About "My keywords are searched and they are search a lot. I checked them in the keyword tool. Both broad, exact and phrase." . The keyword planner is currently the best choice for keyword research. After you search a keyword, click on "keyword ideeas" and hit the download button ( to the upper right) to see what the numbers are for this month , otherwise what you see there is an average from all months in a year . The excel also shows competition in terms of a number not just high/medium/low. You can also hoover over the graph button to see numbers for searches like here :

keyword-planner-review-estimates.png

Next step : click the Review estimates ( blue button , lower right ) and make the green bid range smaller to see closer into the graph.

This way you can see that if I set a bid of 1 Ron ( almost 0,3 $ ) and a daily budget for 30 RON ( expecting 30 clicks) the tool tells me to the right side that I will actually get 5 clicks because my ad is at an average low position of 4-5. This is why I advised making the daily budget higher because it usually you don't get to spend all your daily budget if you bid a low MaxCPC.

keyword-planner-review-estimates2.png

Now that you have many clicks, the system was able to award you with a QS for every keyword , because for the first 1000 impressions it grants you an estimated QS.

I advise to set the budget now for something closer to 10 $ , maybe 12-15 $ and let it be for a day. Remember you won't see impressions right away, you are eager to see results and if you keep refreshing the window nothing will happen soon.

Clicks are nothing if they don't bring conversions like sales or phone leads or sign-ups. Are you tracking at least important pages like "when does a visitor reach the contact page " ?

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722022?hl=en

This will help you chose keywords which bring conversions and pause keywords which don't contribute to conversions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

well there cheap clicks, i use adwords in sydney australia and just to use the keyword locksmith minimum bid is $13.00 to mobile optimise the add for smartphones you have to bid around $18.00 to $20.00 just to get your ad to show. I run my own campaigns and find a lot of trickery goes on from the google adwords teams looking after there paid campaigns. They push the price of the clicks up which is contrary to what google says about the level playing feild for a small  business competing against a larger business. I HAVE BEEN USING ADWORDS FOR A FEW YEARS AND FIND IT DOES NOT REALLY PAY.You would probably get better results if you let google run the campaign. For keywords like emergency locksmith your looking at $18.00 bid to get your keyword to show. Than at that high price you have to deal with all the false clicks, google might give you back a few dollars only on false clicks, there just vaccuming the money up. When you come up with smart keywords that are cheap, they dont like that because you may get more exposure than paid customers.

When it comes to money corruption is everywhere, google do sweet nothing, thats why there is no complaints phone number. You have to have a lot of keywords to get a response, words are infinite.