AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Why are my Ads not serving equally - they are set up to rotate equally!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI All,

I have set up 3 landing page tests (same Ad but with different target URLs) accross my Adwords account. 

The Ads for each are identical (except for the new challenger display URL).

In only one out of the three tests there is very unequal number of ad serving approx 2:1 (in the other tests ad serving is 1:1).

The test setting is to rotate ads equally and the tests have only been running for seven days.

Can anyone explain why the number of ad impressions is so different in this one test and what I need to do to make sure there is an equal amount of impressions?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Why are my Ads not serving equally - they are set up to rotate equally!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again,

Read this part quoted from the reference I gave in my prior post:

"Also note that in the "Rotate evenly" and "Rotate indefinitely" options, the percentages of ads served in the ad group will be more even than the other ad rotation options. However, they may not be exactly even because AdWords considers an ad's Quality Score when ranking on a search result page and an ad with a high quality score may appear on the first page of search results where it accrues an impression every time it's served vs an ad with a low Quality Score that appears on subsequent pages that only accrue impressions if the user clicks through to that page. "

Hope that makes more sense now!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome,

I am not exactly sure which tests are you referring to here. Are you talking about Adwords campaign experiments? 

As far as Ad rotation settings are concerned, it doesn't always depends upon the settings you have selected (i.e. rotate evenly). There are other outside factors (like ad quality, time period of an ad etc...) as well depending upon which the ad impressions on one ad could differ from another, which I think is happening in your case.

Read this reference for more insights.

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks pankaj

The ads were set up as tests in Adwords - but not as an Adwords experiment as I wanted a 50:50 split of ad impressions.

We simply created a new indentical Ad and added it to each ad group in each campaign.

I can't understand why only in on of the tests the ratio of ad impressions is so imbalanced in one test/campaign when the same test setup approach was applied to all tests.

Test 1

Impressions: Ad A 1309

Impressions: Ad B 1238

Test 2

Impressions: Ad A 12869

Impressions: Ad B 12671

Test 3

Impressions: Ad A 4029

Impressions: Ad B 1621

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again,

Read this part quoted from the reference I gave in my prior post:

"Also note that in the "Rotate evenly" and "Rotate indefinitely" options, the percentages of ads served in the ad group will be more even than the other ad rotation options. However, they may not be exactly even because AdWords considers an ad's Quality Score when ranking on a search result page and an ad with a high quality score may appear on the first page of search results where it accrues an impression every time it's served vs an ad with a low Quality Score that appears on subsequent pages that only accrue impressions if the user clicks through to that page. "

Hope that makes more sense now!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Phillip,

Do you have the date range set to begin when you added the tests? Your tests have been running for 7 days, are you looking only at data from the last 7 days?

Just a thought.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi Philipwtg,

Thanks for your post. As Pankaj mentioned, quality score is also a factor that affects ad rotation.

Setting ads to rotate does not mean that ads will serve more evenly during the first 90 days of serving; it actually means that ads will enter the auction more evenly during the first 90 days. Because ads are not guaranteed to win every auction entered, even ad rotation does not always occur. How the ads actually serve will be influenced by a variety of factors including quality, bid and more. 

While the ads will enter the auction more evenly, whether a given ad actually wins the auction or what position it appears in will still depend on other factors. Both winning the auction and being seen by users are necessary for the served percentage of an ad to increment in AdWords reporting. For example, if one ad variation shows up on the first page of search results and users see it, the ad's served percentage reported in AdWords will increment. If a different variation happens to serve, but on page 2 or 3 of search results and users don't see it, then the served percentage for that ad will not increment. This can then result in uneven served percentages in AdWords reporting. 

I hope this helps.

Rachel