AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Why am I exceeding my daily budget?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was always under the impression that my campaign budget was a maximum adwords spend per day, but looking at the adgroup stats for the last month it looks like some days I'm exceeding the daily budget (eg campaign with a £30 budget costs £34 one day, £19 another), wondering how this can be? Is it carrying over unspent budget day-to-day? Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Juliet_SEO
September 2015

Re: Why am I exceeding my daily budget?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Juliet_SEO and welcome to the Community.  You're sort of right.  AdWords allows a 20% "overspend" on any individual day so if your budget was £30 you could potentially spend £36 in a single day.  However you will never spend more than £30 per day on average over a billing period.

Does this answer the question?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Juliet,

Yes, you are correct. It tries to balance the spending by utilizing the funds you have under spent on certain days.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Juliet_SEO
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Juliet_SEO and welcome to the Community.  You're sort of right.  AdWords allows a 20% "overspend" on any individual day so if your budget was £30 you could potentially spend £36 in a single day.  However you will never spend more than £30 per day on average over a billing period.

Does this answer the question?

Jon

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

hello Juliet_SEO, 

Welcome to adwords community, 

Your daily budget is the maximum amount you're willing to spend on your campaign in a given day. you can exceed your daily budget by 20% in a given day. However, in a given billing period, you're never charged more than the average number of days in a month  times your daily budget.

For more information Go with this link, 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2789623?hl=en

Hope it helps you,

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@StructuredPPC - although you can think of the additional spend as being "borrowed" from underspend days, it's important to note that the daily spend will never exceed 120% of your specified daily budget - even if more than this is accrued in costs.  So if your budget is £10 a day and you spend only £5 each day for 10 days, on the 11th day you'll still only be charged a maximum of £12.

See more details here.

Jon

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

One other caveat.  If you adjust the budget, or mess with the bidding - manual/automatic/conversion-based, it re-sets everything, so any likely readjustment down to balance an overspend would be taken into the consideration.

Regards, Doug
LinkedIn  

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for the info. I was not aware of it.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We have seen a 42.5% overspend, but then get reset back to normal range after the excess moved to invalid clicks in the following hour. 

Why am I exceeding my daily budget?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello automatically your balance receive to the bank account ? I haven't receive ?