AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Why Google shoves ads to the bottom of the search page?

[ Edited ]
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 1
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

I have a campaign with several keywords. Recent days, I got a problem so often: my ads appeared in the bottom. I raised my max bid to a higher value then my ads went to the top. After 1 day, they went to the bottom again and I must to raise the max bid. Sometimes I couldn't see my ads while Diagnosis tool always show my ads on top. I am very tired of controlling my ads position.

This popular discussion was copied from the former Help Forum.

Dinesh SEO replied:

The position of your ad depends on the quality score, bid, competitors bids data and some of the other variables. So each time you can see different ad position for your keywords. Your ads are showing on bottom of page b/c recently adwords start showing the ads on the bottom of page, b/c Google research ads got good CTR at bottom of the page.
I'll suggest you to check the average position of keywords, make sure you set good enough daily budget because in less daily budget AdWords will show your ads less often and sometime you can't see your ads for your keywords. Also, in ad preview tool if you are searching keywords for different location then again your ad position can vary.  Please remember your ad had potential to change position each time search is made due to different variable AdWords calculate to decide the ad position. If your average ad position of your campaign is in top 3-4 no need to be worry about.
References:
[1]
adwords.blogspot.com

Top Contributor, Theresa added:

Ads are shown at the top of the page only when Google decides to "feature" certain ads that have very high Ad Rank for certain searches. A combination of very good CTR and competitive bidding is needed to make an ad eligible to be featured.  Not all searches result in ads being selected for the "featured" position--and there is nothing an advertiser can do to force the featuring to be triggered. 
Ads that are not in one of the "featured" positions may display in the normal right-hand sidebar column or, in the case of very local searches, Google is testing bottom of the page placement for those ads, leaving room for Local Places listings and product listings, etc., in the right-hand column. 
As Dinesh also says, keyword quality score is very important to ad rank--keywords with very low scores or broad match keywords that could be pulling a very wide range of searches (resulting in a widely fluctuating quality score) are harder to match to a search in a way to get an ad featured. Check your keyword quality scores to see if you need to work on your CTRs and make sure you're not relying too heavily on broad match--the more tightly you focus your campaign and the traffic it attracts, the better off you'll be.
Ways to improve ad performance, to increase the possibility of being selected to be "featured" also include using Ad Extensions, which can have a dramatic affect on CTRs. If you are not using Ad Extensions, then I suggest you consider adding them. 

Zee
G+

Warning: AdWords interface instructions or screenshots in this thread may be out of date as we move to the new AdWords experience.

LEARN MORE

Re: Why Google shoves ads to the bottom of the search page?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have added the site link extensions and when the ad shows on top results the ad extensions are not always there. Is there a way for the extensions to always show up when that ad is in top 3 ?

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 3
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi ExclusiveMedia, 

There is no guarantee for sitelink to always show. I recommend you to read these to articles by our Top Comtributor, Kim, who is an expert in sitelinks:

1. AdWords Sitelinks
  2. AdWords Sitelinks – Understanding, Planning, Coding, Implementing, Tracking and Evaluating

Zee
G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Guys all the facts which you are telling we know that, My qs-is 8,as per google i have kept the top page bid as the highest bid. But still my ad shows at the bottom of the page. why????

Is this googles any new policy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have just run an adwords campaign and I am at the bottom of the page.  The people above me are not paying for an ad.  Why are they higher ip the page without paying?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am not sure position 3-4 is nothing to worry about.  More often now I am seeing only 2 ads at the top and the remaining 2 are placed at the bottom.  This means position 3 is actually at the bottom.  I have done some research and it is very difficult to tell if the ad is in a grouping of 4 at the top or split 2 and 2 top and bottom.  The impact is obviously an horrendous CTR.  According to Google's definition of an impression, it is when the ad is loaded, not when it is seen.  Eg, if you are on the bottom of a page that no-one looks at then it still counts as an impression.  Smiley Sad